Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1721 - 1740 of 1799 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,122 Posts
Yes, a TI would have had single carb. Plenty have been updated over the years. I converted a friend's 65 TI to 1750 with Solexes.
I'll take a look.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I got mine through a Want-Ad on here, albeit they came from South Africa !
Problem is that yours is the earlier version! The two L shaped ones were only used about a year, in conjunction with the grey dash. I've only known of one set for sale about a year back and never seen or heard of another set being for sale.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello fellow Alfisti,

I wanted to know what people’s thoughts were on buying an Gulia Super from South Africa? What does a fully restored car go for in SA and are there any unique things to South Africa I should be aware of. I have family in SA who can inspect the car but just thought I’d get people’s thoughts on what does an exceptional car go for and any other things I should be aware of ?

Looking for a 68-70 Gulia Super, restored to high standard and not too fussed if a 2 litre has been dropped into it for more performance but body needs to be top notch.... so how much are they going for ?

As a comparison, in Australia 40k gets you a very good car ( yes they have doubled in the last 4 years)

Cheers
JJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
21,122 Posts
In terms of market for a long time in the US the going rate for a good, not concours, first series Super was $25K. Now that's more like $35-40K, and exceptional cars bring more. There were outliers before and after the recession; I know of a local first series Super that sold from an SF dealer for $52K in the early 2000s, but that wasn't repeatable by very many people.

Check BringaTrailer; search Alfa Giulia to see all the current ads as well as completed ones, whether sold or not meeting reserve. I think it's the best real-world price guide there is, at least for the US.

Andrew

·
Registered
159 Posts
In terms of market for a long time in the US the going rate for a good, not concours, first series Super was $25K. Now that's more like $35-40K, and exceptional cars bring more. There were outliers before and after the recession; I know of a local first series Super that sold from an SF dealer for $52K in the early 2000s, but that wasn't repeatable by very many people.

Check BringaTrailer; search Alfa Giulia to see all the current ads as well as completed ones, whether sold or not meeting reserve. I think it's the best real-world price guide there is, at least for the US.

Andrew
I think there is still confusion on what a Gulia price should be for a series 1 car with original motor, i.e: usually a Super with twin Webers on a 1600, vs. a later style, usually hanging pedals car with a 1600 or better yet 1300 that is to be replaced with a 2 liter, which is in vogue these days for understandable driveability issues in the U.S.
These later cars have several of the more modern Giulia details and no one seems to mind motor swapping them. The earlier cars, if still original and in excellent shape with the 1600 Super setup, probably cost too much today for a motor transplant.

·
Premium Member
21,122 Posts
Good points, yes. I've never myself thought it made sense how much $$ variance there was between one model Giulia and the next; I was always concerned mostly about condition. But the market feels differently, and yes, a 105.06 1300 Berlina with Giulietta engine and four-speed is not like driving a good strong first-series 1600 Super.

So few cars are stock any longer that it can be tough to compare apples to apples on prices. Many of the BaT cars have 2000s, are hotrods, whatever. In general the closer to stock the higher the value, in my experience.

Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,733 (Edited)
In my research, notably in Europe where there are enough cars bought/sold to comprise a "market", the price differential between an earlier TI or Super is up to 100% at the upper quality end of the spectrum and at least 50-75% more. Less than 10% I see for sale are S1's. Early TI's are taking off as well. Most FS are 1300's and Nuovas now (like 20+ of 30). I post the stats form time-to-time in this thread. And I've noted the quantity for sale on two bellweather Euro sites is down about 50% in a few years but still many nore FS on a given day than here. The US market is so small it's hard to draw a lot of hard conclusions as a few outliers can drive the mean and medial wildly. But in general prices here have doubled in the past 5-7 years but then so has Europe. A good 8000 Euro car in 2010 is now going for at least Euro 15-20k.

·
Registered
274 Posts
So being a bit of a newb, what should the value be of alate model EU car (74/75) with a 1300? I would want to put a 2 liter in anyway and not want something too precious to mod. More interested in the experience of driving. I do see them in more of the 8-15k range in what looks like decent shape, but of course I am not there kicking the tires. Would somethign like this be a good buy? I assume it would be around 5k to import. Thanks.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,735 (Edited)
So being a bit of a newb, what should the value be of alate model EU car (74/75) with a 1300? I would want to put a 2 liter in anyway and not want something too precious to mod. More interested in the experience of driving. I do see them in more of the 8-15k range in what looks like decent shape, but of course I am not there kicking the tires. Would somethign like this be a good buy? I assume it would be around 5k to import. Thanks.
Depends on condition but say in the late teens (Euros). Shipping and handling can be had for $3k to west coast on a RoRo, NIC any Customs levied.

See attached market review PDF's (2019 and 2017), also posted above with dialogue. Noobs should read this and the picture and differences threads end-to-end. A later 74-75 would be a Nuova (S4) and somewhat less but they are being carried upward also.

PS: We've had a friend looking via a Euro friend and they are not finding much without rust or too much patina for less than Euro 20k, even a S3 1300. Under 12-15k is a fluke or small project.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
]PS: We've had a friend looking via a Euro friend and they are not finding much without rust or too much patina for less than Euro 20k, even a S3 1300. Under 12-15k is a fluke or small project.
Exactly this; I've had a look at some Giulia's over the last few months for a friend (who has just bought a Fulvia). Anything under 12k is a project, 12k-17k is a driver, 17k-25k above that - depending on the model - good or very good and anything over 30k will be very nice (all in euro's). But more importantly very nice original examples are not just expensive, but very difficult to find.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,737 (Edited)
Exactly this; I've had a look at some Giulia's over the last few months for a friend (who has just bought a Fulvia). Anything under 12k is a project, 12k-17k is a driver, 17k-25k above that - depending on the model - good or very good and anything over 30k will be very nice (all in euro's). But more importantly very nice original examples are not just expensive, but very difficult to find.
Also I've noted early TI's and S1 Supers going for up to a 100% premium over later cars with Nuovas trailing but gaining now.

Unfortunately, Scalino is confirming a higher price trend for solid cars, even entry 1300 later model ones (NIC Nuovas). This seems to confirm my recent market analysis and our friend's recent findings. Good cars going in the Euro 18-25k range with floor pedal and S1/S2 cars even more.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
1721 - 1740 of 1799 Posts