Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1681 - 1700 of 1813 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,310 Posts
I would expect the Dorian car to have a big reserve. So much of the market is off or flat, but these sedans were never really hot, so maybe they have room to stabilize.
My 58 Giulietta just sold on BaT, by a subsequent owner for pretty the same price I sold it for a few years ago.
Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,682
I would expect the Dorian car to have a big reserve. So much of the market is off or flat, but these sedans were never really hot, so maybe they have room to stabilize.
My 58 Giulietta just sold on BaT, by a subsequent owner for pretty the same price I sold it for a few years ago.
Andrew
Which car is this Andrew (link please).

For a while I felt the Giulia sedan market was depressed because EuroClassix imported and sold about 20 Giulias in rapid succession, 2 and 3 at a time. Their "Sold" info does not go this far back but at one point I counted 18 and going. That was good for buyers for sure. (Then he did it and still doing it with SZ's with 8 sold and 3 for sale still not moving). He glutted those markets. Astute sellers do not shoot themselves in the foot, but greedy volume dealers eliminating the competition do. Of course they think they are bringing penicillin to the ailing masses. I think we've seem some high prices lately, $43k for an imperfect S1, some recents at $35k on and off-line, yes for nice cars, but the average price IMO in the "mother lode", NW Europe, has gone up about 2 1/2 times in the last 8 years or so. Euro 8k benchmark good S2/S3 drivers up from Euro 8-10 to 20's now. Good S1's if you can even find them even more. I see almost no early TI's. I think it's rebounded and stabilized if not acceleratiing. B

·
Premium Member
6,387 Posts
Thanks! Humm? Very interesting, How does shipping even work? He says it runs and I assume it could be shipped to Houston? I'm way out of my comfort zone on this one. We met at one of the tours I'm pretty sure.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,684 (Edited)
That's why I asked, "Where"? Some folks are way out of their comfort zone importing. Jim imported his from NL and I've imported 6. Two other locals have imported one each. We can help. It needs a local good PPI to make sure it is as advertised, and an agent to handle purch and arrange shipping. It's possible the dealer can handle this, not the PPI. On a RoRo they drive it on and off of a big floating parking structure. Wallenius comes to Galveston, ~Euro1600, about $2000 depending on the exchange.

·
Premium Member
6,387 Posts
Thanks, I asked if he still has it and go from there.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,686 (Edited)
Thanks, I asked if he still has it and go from there.
The guy who priced this car either just walked out of a closet he'd been locked in for 8 years and got no current pricing advice, or, for this price, there are issues with the car. I surmise the latter beng that he's working with a consignment shop that has other Giulias, and it is probably a project to some degree as determined by a PPI. Get a PPI. We know resources. This car is about 40% of the median/average price for a very good driver. On the plus side it does look complete and fairly original for an S3 "unificata" and is a 1300 hung pedal car which facilitates an engine swap. It will have a 4.78 rear end.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,687
. . . and it is probably a project to some degree as determined by a PPI. Get a PPI.
An interested friend got more pics on this car and it is most def a project with a lot of scattered rust. Not ready for the crusher but will need a lot of work, some in difficult places. Proceed with caution.

·
Premium Member
6,387 Posts
will proceed with caution, have not heard back from him yet. I like the color too. It's in the range (condition) of what I've been looking for but won't know for sure until a ppi.

·
Premium Member
6,387 Posts
He also has a better Giulia 1300 that appears to be a Ti and not a Super for more money but I need a project to keep me busy. If and when I get a Super I'll be selling my Berlina that is running better than it ever has.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,691 (Edited)
The Dorian car is the hotrod on Bat with yellow nose.

Andrew
Thanks, I came to know that car as the Balduzzi car. Dorian has that Beiga cava car, the streed racer. I have more pics on the Belge beiga cava car. It is a project.

·
Super Moderator
11,353 Posts
Looks to be converted to run on propane.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Looks to be converted to run on propane.
Agreed. I lived in Holland 89-94 and propane tanks were in most new cars for tax reasons and this one looks exactly as expected. For classics, it was a matter of running costs-Propane is at least 50% less than gas-runs cleaner and leaves fewer deposits in the engine but as I recall, they are peppier on hi test petrol.

Another fun factoid from the Dutch tax authorities: at least back then, you paid sales tax on the cost of the car when it was new-not when it was sold for cars that were essentially company lease cars-high income taxes diverted by making a car part of your comp package. There was a thriving business restoring Vintage Sedans and coupes-you paid sales tax based on the cost of the car--in 1970 for example and this lowered your tax bite a lot.

Things may have changed since joining the EU. I have enough trouble keeping up with US taxes to have any time to worry about theirs

·
Registered
105 Posts
Cars converted to LPG currently have certain restrictions that you they are not allowed in the Channel Tunnel or on Speedferries. The LPG infrastructure (dispensing stations) is not consistent across Europe. Holland, France and Italy are pretty good but the rest is more patchy. I have no idea of infrastructure in the US where this car is. Here, the pump nozzles are not universal so you need different adapters if you cross borders. If you are tempted by this car, do your research on such things first. Cheers,
François

·
Registered
199 Posts
These frequent advertiser Berlina is back on CL, now Central Coast US. I have no idea where it actually lives; it moves around a lot. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/lompoc-1969-alfa-romeo-berlina/6899639366.html
Andrew
Does anyone actually know anything about this car? Been for sale for quite a while, making me thing something's wrong with it. I've been looking for a Berlina for a while, but this one is on the opposite coast to me making it a little difficult to check out.

But I should probably sell the two GTVs I have now before picking up another.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,700 (Edited)
It's no wonder why many folks look to Europe for a good car for this kind of money for this car.

1681 - 1700 of 1813 Posts