Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1621 - 1640 of 1799 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
this is why i love internet, this car , sold new in germany, was purchased 15 years ago by a cardealer
in Benidorm (Alicante, Spain) and never registrated,
Then sold to a dealer in Valencia who registrated the car.
We did a lot of repairs on the car last year but it's still a pig with lipstick.
So, family car since new ?
He may mean "family" of Alfisti that we are all a part of?

here 3 pics from 3-28-2018 the car being in my garage in Alicante, Spain, same number plate, I redid the engine completly, so engine is very strong plus that has my name stampped on it with the letters "JR"
Good to know, and maybe still a car worth having for someone? The next thing to do now is to adjust the price!

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I am tempted to contact the seller through eBay to call him out, but I won't. It just irritates me that people can get away with such blatant lies.
Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am tempted to contact the seller through eBay to call him out, but I won't. It just irritates me that people can get away with such blatant lies.
Bill
Spoke with owner. Initially he said the car in the pictures was not his car. Then the story changed. He did say the car has been repainted. Could not verify the mileage other to say its in the title...

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,624
Sounds pretty sketchy. SOmeone's gonna get screwed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds pretty sketchy. SOmeone's gonna get screwed.
It's just a used car deal; no one gets screwed. IF one were interested (I am not), they should go look over the car carefully and then make an offer based on what they see, if they're still interested.
Think of this Ebay listing as a classified ad, nothing more. An online auction with no curator or guarantor is NOT going to be without problems for a buyer who goes in unprepared. I'll go ahead and say the same thing about BAT, and I speak from experience. Live auctions often don't give any potential buyers a chance to do their due diligence either. In a way, the seller's crazy high "Buy it Now" price is a good thing. It almost guarantees the car will still be with him when the "auction" is over, and if you want it, perhaps you can negotiate with him, man to man. It takes two to make a bad deal: one to offer it up and another to stick to the crappy ground rules (Ebay "auction" in this case) of the seller. The guy with the money should call the shots, not the other way around.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,626 (Edited)
Two true points:

Live auctions often don't give any potential buyers a chance to do their due diligence either.
Which is exactly WHY some/many folks an get screwed by their emotions in this situation. Too many examples of this happening. The antidote is a small down payment, a follow-up inspection, and maybe walking away. That adds complexity and risk almost as bad as foreign purchase.

In a way, the seller's crazy high "Buy it Now" price is a good thing. It almost guarantees the car will still be with him when the "auction" is over.
This IS the saving grace. It makes it in essence a Classified Ad unless someone is completely star struck.

Jon, you worked in the bunsiness, you are just too jaded and practical about this. Not all are so wise.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Jon, you worked i he bunsiess, you are just too jaded and practical about this. Not all are so wise.
My motto was, "I'll take ANY and ALL cars here (at an auction) if the price is LOW enough." Never get out your pencil and figure closely; you're only screwing yourself. Needless to say, I didn't always get what I wanted.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Think of this Ebay listing as a classified ad, nothing more. An online auction with no curator or guarantor is NOT going to be without problems for a buyer who goes in unprepared.
Exactly. And scammers do their best to avoid dealing with prepared, knowledgeable buyers. What they search for instead are people who are willing to naively spend 35k on a car they know absolutely nothing about.

I hate to admit it, but when I was importing cars from Y'urp back-in-the-day I did exactly that. Fortunately, I didn't spend anywhere close to that kind of money but I was still completely naive about buying a old Alfa out of Italy. I thought I was a hot-shot who knew everything, but in fact made every dumb mistake a person can make when buying a car from another country. The 2600 Alfa coupe I bought turned out to be a former police car (it still had radio brackets in the trunk), had been under water (Naples flood, possibly), and was so rusty from one end to the other that it was becoming unsafe to drive. Running on only 5 cylinders, I barely made it home. its one redeeming feature was that it had the ultra rare triple Weber 45 option which was alone worth more than I paid for the whole car. I promptly sold it to a starry eyed guy who convinced himself that he could turn that rust-bucket into a viable car. It sat in his back-yard for a long time before disappearing. I considered the $100 loss I took to be a fair price paid for the lesson learned.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,629
Anyway, with fake pictures of some other car and a dodgy seller and title and such, this smells funny. As in scam. That's what I meant by getting screwed, car condition aside and that's a whole separate matter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seller of the green 71 super is back at it again. Now selling a 1976 Lancia Fulvia 1.3 S on eBay with another supposed 11k miles " on title".

Another import with a recent respray. Shady at best

·
Registered
557 Posts

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,638
It's clearly a MY68, the first of which were manufactured in late 67. If it made it over here quickly enough, it might have been registered as a 67.

1621 - 1640 of 1799 Posts