Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1581 - 1600 of 1800 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
FYI, I was lusting after that on Subito.it It was for sale on that site until recently....I'm pretty sure it was the same one. It was for sale near Ragusa (also in Sicily) for 9000 euros. I'm guessing this dealer in Palermo bought it and is re-selling it. I'm very curious to see what it will go for.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Interesting. For those of us in the US looking to import a car sight unseen, this dealer is appealing because he appears to have a positive history on Bring a Trailer, and he includes roll on-roll off shipping to major US ports in the purchase price.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,583

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,584 (Edited)
Interesting. For those of us in the US looking to import a car sight unseen, this dealer is appealing because he appears to have a positive history on Bring a Trailer, and he includes roll on-roll off shipping to major US ports in the purchase price.
I'd double check WHAT they offer because the price differential to ship RoRo from NW Europe to the east, Gulf or west coast (via Wallenius) is significantly different.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
A white 1967 Giulia Super was just listed by Gateway Classic Cars. It caught my eye because it is in their Chicago-area showroom which is fairly close to me. There is only one photo posted so far (looks good), and not much in the way of details including no VIN given. Asking $33,995.
Bill

https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/CHI/1530/1967-Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-Super
This car has rare early 1969 front bumper made by ILLEA.

edit; Some discussion about the front bumper, scroll down for more;
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sedan-1962-1977/54078-giulia-berlina-picture-roll-call-96.html#post6707650

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,587 (Edited)
Perused AS24 in NL for Giulia sedans, looking for a friend looking for a nice 1600 TI. Good luck with that.

There were half as many for sale as when I did this last in Nov 2017 - now 19 versus 39 on that day.

Type --2017 -- 2019
1300 -- 28 -- 14
1600 -- 7 -- 1
2L** -- 2 -- 4
Race -- 2 -- 0
Including:
S1 -- 2 -- 1
Nuova-- 8 -- 3
Avg $* 19877 -- 18842 mainly due to fewer nicer cars.

And still not many 1600 Super's/TI's (1 vs 7 before) and fewer yet 1st Series Supers (1 vs 2 before).

* at 1.15
** incl 1750's

https://www.autoscout24.com/lst/alfa-romeo/giulia?sort=price&desc=0&offer=O,D,S&ustate=N,U&size=20&page=1&cy=NL&atype=C&

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,588
A white 1967 Giulia Super was just listed by Gateway Classic Cars. It caught my eye because it is in their Chicago-area showroom which is fairly close to me. There is only one photo posted so far (looks good), and not much in the way of details including no VIN given. Asking $33,995.
Bill

https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/CHI/1530/1967-Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-Super
Just perused this car. VIN shown in still pics - AR349513. Has a later 68 to 74 5-bar grill, not the S1 full face with split heart, and a later hood without the SS hood spear. Missing underhood light. Engine has later 2L cam cover and not crossover air filter duct as an S1 1600. And a later head based on thermostat housing. Never seen that air cleaner (US Spica injection) on a carb'd car??? ***. Hupcaps are later Super "Bertone " large ring caps. Non-original seat upholstery pattern but nice looking. Pinstriping, meh. Wrong tach needle which doesn't match speedo needle. Looks like US spec car w/ English gauges and 4-way flashers. I spy a hydrauic clutch fluid bottle on a 1600 (OE mechanical)?? Non-OE exhaust/tips. For $35k? Ok. Lots of this stuff is readily avaialble to make it right, just don't know what a class shop would leave it so "frankencarish".

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just perused this car. VIN shown in still pics - AR349513. Has a later 68 to 74 5-bar grill, not the S1 full face with split heart, and a later hood without the SS hood spear. Missing underhood light. Engine has later 2L cam cover and not crossover air filter duct as an S1 1600. And a later head based on thermostat housing. Never seen that air cleaner (US Spica injection) on a carb'd car??? ***. Hupcaps are later Super "Bertone " large ring caps. Non-original seat upholstery pattern but nice looking. Pinstriping, meh. Wrong tach needle which doesn't match speedo needle. Looks like US spec car w/ English gauges and 4-way flashers. I spy a hydrauic clutch fluid bottle on a 1600 (OE mechanical)?? Non-OE exhaust/tips. For $35k? Ok. Lots of this stuff is readily avaialble to make it right, just don't know what a class shop would leave it so "frankencarish".
You know, it's a 50 year old car, one of many from a 12 year production run. If the combination of year and other running changes works, i.e. looks and drives right, and the price can be negotiated to today's good deal for a nice looking driver, I wouldn't sweat the details too much. It's like buying a '65 Chevy with a '68 year engine in it.
I'd leave these details for my second or third Giulia. The important thing is, just get one!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,590
IMO for $35k, it ought to be a bit closer to right; some really poor shortcuts taken here. For $25k, sure, it's close enough for horseshoes and handgrenades. Either that or a really nice right S1 is $50k+. Just helping to make informed buyers who know what they are getting. I doubt you'd pay $35k for it Jon.

PS: Here's a proper S1 car for not much more (mentioned above) - LINK.

·
Registered
159 Posts
IMO for $35k, it ought to be a bit closer to right; some really poor shortcuts taken here. For $25k, sure, it's close enough for horseshoes and handgrenades. Either that or a really nice right S1 is $50k+. Just helping to make informed buyers who know what they are getting. I doubt you'd pay $35k for it Jon.

PS: Here's a proper S1 car for not much more (mentioned above) - LINK.
Apples and oranges. As I said, if it runs well (and like any Alfa, isn't rusty) then it's all about the price. I think it's too high, but it's at a dealer who presumably wants a profit and presumably wants a sale. So it will move, eventually, for some number.
I would bet, and I think you'd agree, that a mojority of Giulia buyers want the look and the performance of a cobbled together Giulia; most want a 2 liter engine these days, for instance. That's an instant cobble. A minority of sophisticated Giulia buyers want an all correct, Super 1600. Are we all going to go off on a trend of, "is this exactly right and correct as when it left the factory 50 years ago?" If so, then the game is changing...

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,592 (Edited)
Yea but this is a durian friut. My problem with this car is that it does not have a prep logic; it just appears to be cobbled together with engine and body odds and ends that came out of the bin by an unknowledgable preparer for an ignorant buyer. The paintjob and trim looks nice and I do like the interior look for a driver. BUT. A 1600 with a modern head and an apparent later hydraulic clutch? Why? A Spica air cleaner hammered into place? What carbs? A 5 bar grill on an S1. No suspension mods/maintenance mentioned. And what else sis there not apparent? Sorry, this is just a bodged car with a shiny paint job and nice Iilea bumper.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,593
This car is a very good value. Ideal candidate for a 1750. LINK

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,595
I don't see the gray one you reference on your Website gallery. just a Dutch blue one that went to Arizona. Link please?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,597
Ahhh, I did not see it in your Gallery on your website. Nice prep, proper. I assume you wholesaled it to the seller, a dealer.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,599
That was my point above . . . t's a proper car by comparison (and on AS24 now BTW as the highest priced car and only 1600 S1) and not a bodge job done from bin spare parts, for nearly the same price.

1581 - 1600 of 1800 Posts