Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 160 of 1800 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
On the giardinetta police car, did any of you notice what looks like an extra spark plug next to each spark plug well on the head? Any idea what those are for? Spares? They're not wired to the distributor so I don't imagine it's a twin spark...

·
Premium Member
21,146 Posts
Looks like a plug/sensor or something in each of the threaded core plugs. Not a GTA head I don't think.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yes, these plugs/sensors look like the temperature feeler of the early Giulias (which had one in the one furthest back of the head) and are screwed into the holes that normally just have plugs in them. I don't think they have any practical function but substitutes the plain plugs.
Looking again at the pictures I realize that the livery isn't the normal Polizia Stradale blue and white livery. Judging by the "autostrada s.p.a." signs on the doors its probably an official patrol car belonging to the private company that build and run the toll autostrada network.
Erik

·
Premium Member
21,146 Posts
It has been one of my dreams to have a wagon, but I cannot imagine driving around in one in this police getup. There are three in more or less normal use in Berkeley, relatively low-key in appearance, if that's possible for a Giulia wagon.
Andrew

·
Registered
509 Posts
Imo, those lofty prices take away from the utilitarian nature of the wagon. I realized their usefulness with my first Fiat 128 wagon, I had more compliments with that....and you can throw stuff in the back. If I had a Giulia wagon I'd use it to haul stuff not just arse.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Yeah, I've seen that one on the ABB before. Can't remember the guy's user name. Pretty sure he's in Boston. Looks like a nice car.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
That one looks very nice and seller seems honest.
Ask if rear axle gearing have been changed (original a 1300 car), could be tiresome on long runs with 1300 gearing.
Erik

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
That one looks very nice and seller seems honest.
Ask if rear axle gearing have been changed (original a 1300 car), could be tiresome on long runs with 1300 gearing.
Erik
I don't think it would make any difference. The red lines are the same. I don't think a 2L sounds any different at 4000 RPM than a 1300. My 1.3 purrs at 80 MPH. The only advantage to the 2L is acceleration and torque to get to 4000 and above. I don't believe a 4.77 paired with it would be a detriment.

I know the car and driver. I haven't driven it nor scrutinized it closely it but I would vouch for his honesty. He has another Super that he is keeping. Who needs a Sat and Sun car? For you left coaster who think everything rusts out here... we drive our cars in less threatening weather than you probably do.

·
Premium Member
21,146 Posts
I have this car on the register, yes a 115.09 Nuova 1300 Super. Does belong to a BB regular, or at least was at one point.
Andrew

·
Registered
675 Posts
I don't think it would make any difference. The red lines are the same. I don't think a 2L sounds any different at 4000 RPM than a 1300. My 1.3 purrs at 80 MPH. The only advantage to the 2L is acceleration and torque to get to 4000 and above. I don't believe a 4.77 paired with it would be a detriment.
I've experienced a 2L conversion on my Super with the original diff and a 4.10. Big difference in feel. With the original ratio I ran out of 1st gear very quickly, and the car felt frantic at speed. With the axle matched to the engine, the gears are well spaced and high speed cruising is relatively calm. It's not the red line that matters but the final ratio with the combination of transmission and axle gearing. I would not go back.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I've experienced a 2L conversion on my Super with the original diff and a 4.11. Big difference in feel. With the original ratio I ran out of 1st gear very quickly, and the car felt frantic at speed. With the axle matched to the engine, the gears are well spaced and high speed cruising is relatively calm. It's not the red line that matters but the final ratio with the combination of transmission and axle gearing. I would not go back.
A 4.10 will make any engine size less strained. It all depends on your driving pleasure. A racer would never use a 4.10 or 11. I find 1st gear an excuse to get moving and into 2nd as quickly as I can, not drag racing. Obviously, not in your case. In any case the car listed would be very happy in the hands of who ever buys it and any difference in the rear end will be a matter of getting used to, in my opinion. There are many many ratios that can make the whole experience different if you want one wants to start playing around with gear box ratios.

·
Registered
509 Posts
My son is going thru some of this with the Formula SAE car, called the cascades, it plots the traction force vs speed for each gear. Need the torque curve to plot the set of curves and overall gear ratio for ea gear.
It seems to me this is the way to match the gear spacing to the engine characteristics.
Personally I'd like to see what this looks like for my car, 1600 Duetto engine with a 5.12.

141 - 160 of 1800 Posts