Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1541 - 1560 of 1813 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about a TI that's not all that original. Except for the very early cars, there was tons of TIs and Supers produced---so many (500k plus) that I don't think they'll ever be considered as rare as the GTVs and Spiders. Lots of TIs have been made to look like Supers w/ headlights, hood spears, instruments, etc. If tastefully carried out, I don't think that's bad thing at all. I'm a firm believer in "period modifications" so slipping a fast 2 liter into a Ti or Super just makes for an overall better drive. Keep us posted.
Ok, here's an update about that 71 TI. Saw it yesterday, went for a drive. It is seriously fast! Has a 2 liter swap. However something is up with the car and I need advice. It says its a 1971 but:

1. It has floor mounted pedals
2. air intake at base of windscreen is from series 1
3. grille is fake Super TI
4. Dash appears to be frankenstein of a Super and a Nuova Super
5. VIN AR+2237***
6. engine looks like AR01623+056037

How the heck can you have a 1971 chassis with low pedals? I'm worried that the car is a salvage or some sort of reconstruction. All of the other stuff, I can handle (no rust, fast motor).

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
It was possibly built late 70 or early 71.
I had a 70 coupe with standing pedals, and a 72 registered Coupe with standing pedals too.
No big deal, I like the standing pedals better anyway.
Not sure of the exact date LHD got the hanging pedals though

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Relative to the GTVs and Spiders, the TIs and Supers went through a long period in Europe when they were just cheap cars. Finding good cars for 1k euro or less was pretty easy. During that time and later Tis and Supers parts were commonly mixed and matched. If done properly that's not a huge problem for reasons I've discussed. Bruce/Alfanuts bought just such a 'bitsa (2 liter w/ 4.30 rear end, Super headlights, hood spear, etc.) that was beautifully reconstructed by a genuine Alfa enthusiast. This car looks like a survivor from that time. If you're truly interested, take the car to a good body shop, put it on a lift and have an expert see if it's a poorly repaired wreck.

Looks like you're having a good time with your search. Fortunately, you are in the heart of Alfa country. The more you drill down, the more interesting cars will turn up. To reiterate: buy the best car you can find.

·
Premium Member
21,285 Posts
That was also true in the US. I bought a TI for $400 (1977), Super for $800 (1978), TI for $400 (1985), TI for $1500 (crazy money!) in 1997.

Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,546 (Edited)
One at the upper end of the spectrum. Nice looking Series 1 '66 in Petrol blue over lt blue. FB advert post: "For Sale: a wonderful Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 1600 Bollino Oro of 1966 with only 74.481 km on the counter. The car is in an excellent state! Price: € 38.950,- " That's about $45,000 PLUS admin, PPI, S&H costs. Say $50k+.

Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 1600 Bollino Oro ? Montagna D'Oro

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,548 (Edited)
You keep saying that and prices keep going up Nostradamus.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
You keep saying that and rices keep going up Nostradamus.

So . . . If I stop saying this prices will stay the same or maybe even go down? Who knew????? We're going to have to give this some additional thought. Maybe over burgers in Blanco?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
That one is just down the street from me. If the price doesn't go crazy who knows?? Thanks for the heads up Andrew.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Looks like a nice driver. Question: it looks like an Italian market car based on gauges. Alfa stopped selling the Giulia in the US in 1968, correct? Did the Giulia ever get sold here again, or was it just the Berlina for sedans?

·
Premium Member
21,285 Posts
This car was on the BB for sale, and sold on BringaTrailer in Dec. 2017 for $2700. The seller was candid about how rusty.

Giulia TI and Giulia Super were sold in the US roughly 1965-1968. Berlina came in in 1969.

Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,558
I think remember this car, nice fellow bought it out of Tennessee,and drove it to Florida and then just didn't want to deal with the rust. Kept and drove it for a couple of years. Adverted it on the ABB. Serous body rust from earlier pics. A PPI is a MUST.

·
Premium Member
21,285 Posts
Yes, correct. There's a long thread on the BB on the car, you can watch it rust away.

To finish answering the question, no, no Supers sold in US after MY 1967, though it took a year to two to get the last of them off the showrooms. They couldn't meet 1968 and later federal regs.
Berlina was sold 1969-1974, missing 1968 and 1970 MYs. Then Alfetta Berlina came in 1975.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Thanks guys. And now that you mention it, I remember seeing it on BaT last year. Pictures were better and more extensive when it was listed there, and it looked like it was going to take a whole lot of work to deal with the rust at that time.

1541 - 1560 of 1813 Posts