Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1201 - 1220 of 1813 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,202
And here I thought the market was oversupplied. Pie on my face.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sometime ago you estimated the number of these on the road here in NA, was it 500 or a couple of thousand? a trickle in the supply probably increases demand as visibility increases, no doubt the petrolicious vid helped.

·
Premium Member
21,376 Posts
The guys here in SF who are bringing them in from Italy have been steadily selling them. I hear every few weeks that one more has found a new owner.
Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,205 (Edited)
Well, an asking price is one thing; will wait to see the selling prices published. Still some of these asking prices are above roundtails and even matching if not outpacing early GT's (1600-1750). A good looking Duetto on BAT now (ending today) at $17k, and a 65 Sprint GT in the $30's.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Five years ago I whimsically noted that the spread between GTVs and Supers would narrow.

As we all get older the ease of getting in and out of a Super would become more important. Don't have to scrunch down and when in you sit upright and can see out all the way around.

Wonderful!

But a premium?

:cool2::cool2:

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Five years ago I whimsically noted that the spread between GTVs and Supers would narrow.

This is a good example of the von Mises (Austrian school economics) theory of value, i.e., value is entirely subjective, something has worth because people decide it does.

·
Premium Member
21,376 Posts
Before the recession I know of 3-4 Supers that sold for more than $40K, one for more than $50K. So with recovery and appreciation, etc., this doesn't really surprise me.
Andrew

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Before we get all atwitter over these high prices, we should pay some attention to prices for really good cars in Y'urp. Good cars are daily appearing on Marktpatz and Autoscout24 for a lot less money. The US appears to be a specialized marketplace for TI's and Super largely owing to their relative scarcity.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am not anywhere near the experts that most of you on this board are, just a confused car guy. I can say I have lusted for a Guilia for a dozen plus years and if you want one in the states they are tough to get your hands on. I think the value here has been on a steady upswing over several years. Haig's car (sure most of you know his car) I saw at Italiano Concorso a year and a half ago with a for Sale sign on it, the following week we talked details. Then I believe his car was in the mid $30's and if I had the funds then I would have pulled the trigger, it was a very nice car.

Seems that many think the market is softer then it really is.

·
Premium Member
21,376 Posts
1971 Berlina in CT. I looked at this car for a friend 18 months ago when it lived in San Mateo, CA, hence the blue plates. I liked it. Interior is a little worn, but it was an honest car that worked well. Looks like this dealer has fluffed and buffed to a higher standard of appearance. Whether it's worth $19K is your call.
Alfa Romeo Other Berlina | eBay

Andrew

·
Registered
556 Posts
Those "Frog eye" dash boards on the Berlina's don't look very attractive in photo's, but I'll bet they are wonderful while driving.
Amazing considering the dashboards of today loaded with distractions.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Personally, I've always liked the 1750 dash w/pods over the later dashes. Berlinas are really nice cars, not as much fun as Supers in that you can't toss them around as easily but, then, they're hardly ponderous. They were conceived to compete with 2002's and, overall, I think they're the better car. They have their own distinctive Alfa character that sets them apart from other Alfas. When I was searching for my Super, if a comparable Berlina had come along I would have probably bought it. The thing about Supers and Berlinas is that they are both superb road cars, different in detail but both so competent that you want to drive them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was the interest party of the Ebay 1750 in Connecticut (last June when it still lived in the Bay Area) and the Stelvio 2000 (thanks to both Andrew and Erik for their inspections). Both cars had their attributes but neither fit my bill, i.e. a well sorted, rust free, no questions, fairly priced Berlina. They were among the 20 or so cars (both 1750 and 2000) that I looked at (in person or on the BB, Ebay, Craigslist, Subito, AutoScout24, Marketplaats, etc.) during the past 15 months. I preferred a 1750 as I had previously owned three of them and favored the 1750 engine, interior design (including the dash binnacle), and exterior trim. Still, I would have bought a 2000 if it was the 'right car'. My search revealed that; 1)there are far more Giulias than Berlinas for sale; 2)there are far more Berlinas for sale in Europe than the US 3)there are far more 2000's for sale worldwide than 1750's; 4)the definition of 'rust free', 'low mileage', 'original', 'restored', and 'quite nice' is highly subjective (worldwide but more so in Italy); 5)some sellers knowingly misrepresent the condition and/or history of their cars (worldwide but more so in the US); and 6)the market for a well sorted Berlina is roughly $20k+ in the US and $16k + in Europe (if importing add $3-5k for shipping and duty). As Erik mentioned, I did finally find the 'right car'; a well sorted, rust free, no questions 1750 (US but converted to carbs), beige with burgundy interior (originally maroon with black interior), sold to me by a sedan/saloon/Berlina aficionado in Los Angeles. Berlina fever indeed redux...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
For interested in the Berlinas here is a link to a "short story" on them'http://carsfromitaly.net/alfaromeo/index.html
I agree with Tarnow's thoughts of the present Berlina situation.

1201 - 1220 of 1813 Posts