Alfa Romeo Forums banner
2141 - 2160 of 2224 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,989 Posts
Well, it's Alfa, so stuff probably got phased in over time, not all at once.
Plus, many cars' build dates do not match their registration dates. Some took a long time to ship, store, sell. Build date is probably the most reliable measure for introduction of stuff like hanging pedals, ATE brakes, etc. My 66 GTV is registered as a 67, probably didn't get off the boat in the US til early 67 sometime, even though made in 66.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Andrew, you asked if my Mar 67 Dunlop car was RHD - yes. Really unsure why Alfa might have produced both axle types in parallel, if that’s what you are thinking, when there we’re no RHD/LHD equipment variations at that time. However…perhaps they just had a stockpile of Dunlop gear sufficient to allocate to their next planned RHD production run.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Edit -- the 1300 Super also has the rear defroster stripes. They're shown as "optional" in the owner's manual wiring diagram, but I have yet to find a switch in either the car or the manual, other than in the wiring diagram. But maybe the mystery button is for the rear defroster? I guess I need to do some exploratory wire chasing.
The mystery button is indeed for the rear defroster. Going further into the weeds, my June 1971 1300 Super has neither the stripes, nor the button. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
24,989 Posts
Re Dunlop, who knows how Alfa did stuff. Patrick Dasse's book mentions the changeover date, I can look. But my recollection for LHD, which was the vast majority of cars, was middish 66. Were Australian cars knocked down and assembled, or shipped whole? I assume whole. I know it wasn't like SA, with a local assembly and VIN.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
While we're far off on this 'mystery button tangent' Can someone show me what the defrost switch should look like? I've got a few switches in my center console and have discovered half of them haha

Hoping the rear defrost is another one... whether it works or not is another question...

·
Registered
476 Posts
While we're far off on this 'mystery button tangent' Can someone show me what the defrost switch should look like? I've got a few switches in my center console and have discovered half of them haha
The rear defrost button is the big orange one on the bottom left of the dash. (as seen in lpalmers pic in post 2140) The switches in the middle console should be wipers, instrument lights and the heater fan. (not necessarily in that order)

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Getting back to the green 1967 TI on BaT, the seller posted this after showing the car to two different father-and-son teams over the weekend. A nice perspective on the Giulia charm.

I reflected afterwards that these three generations of enthusiasts were brought together on a sunny winter afternoon by a utilitarian yet sensuous object crafted 60 years ago in a Milanese factory by unionized labor, a sprinkling of unreformed Communists among them, who may have shared a carafe of local Nebbiolo after their shift. How many other mass-produced objects connect us across generations, across borders and oceans, across decades?

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Dont ask why I was on PCarMarket....

1975 Giulia Nuova Super 1300 $27,500

·
Premium Member
24,989 Posts
That one's been on ebay a long time, they also have a blue 1300. Friends have asked the seller for more info, pics, to immense silence. That said, if I could see the cars in person, maybe they're OK. I'm nearly as far as I can be from them, in the US.
Andrew

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re Dunlop, who knows how Alfa did stuff. Patrick Dasse's book mentions the changeover date, I can look. But my recollection for LHD, which was the vast majority of cars, was middish 66. Were Australian cars knocked down and assembled, or shipped whole? I assume whole. I know it wasn't like SA, with a local assembly and VIN.
Andrew
Hi Andrew,
My 1968 Australian market Super was delivered whole (been in the US since 2009). It looks identical, other than color, to the 1968 model shown in the RHD Dasse book.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
1973 Guilia Super 1.3 | 1750 Engine with Weber DCOE 40 Tipo 32
341 Posts
2141 - 2160 of 2224 Posts