Alfa Romeo Forums banner
2121 - 2140 of 2224 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Yes, I remember that Hot Rod article well, and have since kept it in the back of my mind as something to try if I ever had a car with just the right level of crustiness -- in need of paint but not nice enough that the brush job would ruin it. So far that hasn't happened, and meanwhile arm muscles (not to mention lung and brain cells) aren't getting any younger. I wonder why they regretted printing it? Too many complaints from people expecting better results? And you must have painted the 2002tii a long time ago -- one rattle can has been more than 10 bucks for a while.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
I think they caught heck for what was a very labor-intensive idea, and that didn't work out well. HRM gets a lot of feedback from its readers.
No, was two years ago I painted the tii's back half.
I particpated in spraying a 67 Impala, which was huge, dark blue, about 1975. Took a lot of spray cans, done in the parking lot of a tire store. Had a giant blade screwdriver for a shifter jammed into the floor shift linkage, grafted onto a car that came originally with an automatic. Ah, the 70s, kind of like a bad movie. But it's my decade.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Rear window defrost in 1967 ?

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
The number looks good in my list for 1967. It's much like one I drove from Boston to Berkeley in 2009.
Note the axle; has mounts for Dunlop wheel cylinders. By 1967 these all had ATEs, so maybe it's an axle from a different car?
Andrew

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Answered my own question.... rear window shows defrost lines, but no wires connected on either ends. I believe rear window was changed at some point.

·
Registered
476 Posts
In picture 39 of the old auction you can see that it already had the defrost and in pictures 14 and 15 of the current auction you can see that it is not connected. Afaik, Ti's never had a rear window defrost so it must have been replaced at some point...

Reactions: GTA Alfa

·
Premium Member
1973 Guilia Super 1.3 | 1750 Engine with Weber DCOE 40 Tipo 32
341 Posts
In picture 39 of the old auction you can see that it already had the defrost and in pictures 14 and 15 of the current auction you can see that it is not connected. Afaik, Ti's never had a rear window defrost so it must have been replaced at some point...
Plus wouldn't the defrost button have been just to the left of the instruments in the wood part of the dashboard? I assume that the big red button you see on the lower dash is a 4-way flasher that was added? Unless that is the defroster.... (EDIT, the current auction states that the "big red button" is not connected to anything)
Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Gauge

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes, that looks like an added 4 way flasher switch.
In picture 46 there are two extra toggle switches visible under the dash so maybe the defrost is connected?

Maybe it was some added IT/NL requirement, flasher etc., as you surmise?
At least in germany, to register an italian market Alfa you have to add a 4 way flasher, if not already installed.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
The rear brakes are ATE. The axle has Dunlop mounts as if converted, but it's ATEs now. Axle could have come from an earlier car.
Yes, 1300 TI came with 5.12.
Can't see front brakes.One of the pictured books says 6/11/67, which from Europe means Nov. 6, 1967. I'd expect ATEs all around.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Since we're already off in the weeds a bit, my Italian-market 1971 1300 Super has a red mystery button on the dash that does not appear in the owner's manual. According to the car's PO, it spent time in the NL between Italy and the US, so it makes sense the button is for 4-way flashers that were retrofitted for the NL. It's one of the few remaining electrical items that I haven't fixed yet, so could be interesting given the non-factory pedigree.

Edit -- the 1300 Super also has the rear defroster stripes. They're shown as "optional" in the owner's manual wiring diagram, but I have yet to find a switch in either the car or the manual, other than in the wiring diagram. But maybe the mystery button is for the rear defroster? I guess I need to do some exploratory wire chasing.

And speaking of brakes, my purported '67 GTV had Dunlop brakes, whereas my '67 Super had ATE. These cars are long gone and I didn't keep the serial numbers, so don't know true date of manufacture.

Another edit -- per the 2019 BaT listing for the '67 TI, the front brakes look like ATE as well. (OK, I guess I should get back to work now.)

Speedometer Automotive design Hood Automotive lighting Gauge

Motor vehicle Steering wheel Art Font Gauge

2121 - 2140 of 2224 Posts