Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am after upto 4 Campagnolo Alfa wheels, as fitted to the 1981/1982 Alfa GTV6. I recently bought one from the USA, and the postage and import duty was quite reasonable, as these wheels are sub 5kg. If you want to list them on eBay, and tick the use global shipping program, I can buy them from you hassle free.
Kind regards, Hazel (UK)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Here's one on eBay--- https://www.ebay.com/p/15x6-Inch-ALFA-ROMEO-Gtv-6-1981-1986-OEM-Factory-Original-Alloy-Wheel-Rim-58145/11003357788?_trksid=p2047675.l2644

I have some too. But would have to wait until Spring to see how many I could offer in nice condition. I noticed some corrosion on more than one. The white crumbly dust that is found on this design, probably from road salt exposure. So would have to remove all to check both sides to see how may decent ones I'd have to offer.

Good luck on your search.

Peter

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Peter,

I don't think I was quick enough to see the eBay listing. I can wait until spring for the right wheel(s).

Kind regards, Hazel

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hi Peter,

I don't think I was quick enough to see the eBay listing. I can wait until spring for the right wheel(s).

Kind regards, Hazel
Since I had found corrosion on one or two (of the 5), just in walking around the car, I won't know how many of the 4 you are looking for in acceptable condition, until I dismount and inspect them more closely. These are the 1984 design with the centers in black/charcoal paint from the factory.

When the weather breaks in March?, I can send pix to show condition on both sides of the best rims I find. As I can't make any promises on how many decent ones I might find, I won't be offended if you want to keep searching in the meantime.

Any other GTV6 parts on your list?

Cheers, Peter
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
All
Be aware that once corrosion is showing on these Elektron alloy wheels the cost to properly arrest corrosion and refurbish is far more than the wheels are worth. They are nice wheels but once corrosion starts it wont stop until stripped and re treated, very expensive. Been there, not fun.
Best to find as good a set as possible and pay extra for it. These wheels also tended to crack at the lips if hammer on wheel weights were used of the wrong type. Checkcarefully!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since I had found corrosion on one or two (of the 5), just in walking around the car, I won't know how many of the 4 you are looking for in acceptable condition, until I dismount and inspect them more closely. These are the 1984 design with the centers in black/charcoal paint from the factory.

When the weather breaks in March?, I can send pix to show condition on both sides of the best rims I find. As I can't make any promises on how many decent ones I might find, I won't be offended if you want to keep searching in the meantime.

Any other GTV6 parts on your list?

Cheers, Peter
[/email]
Its March! Is it wheel time yet?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Its March! Is it wheel time yet?
It is March, for sure. Still a bit frigid and snow banks not melted enough yet. I'll keep an eye on the weather and make a raid in 2 or 3 weeks. If you decide to jump on the set from LA... they have no snow to deal with. I'll leave my e-mail address below for further instructions on your decision.

Thanks, Peter
[email protected]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Peter,

I don't need 5 wheels any longer, as I now have two. So I am only looking for 3 more. I seem to only be buying spare wheels at the moment, as the old style wheel weights seem to cause severe pitting to the alloy on most of the wheels I've been offered, they also seem to go on the mounting face, with what looks like lead based anti-sieze on the photos. I guess lead and magnesium are not friends. 3 weeks is not too long to wait for the right wheels!

Kind regards, Hazel

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 5 with the grey center all in great shape Los Angeles area
Hi Van, I don't know if you want to split your set, but if you could bear to let your best one go, I'd be interested in seeng pictures.

Kind regards, Hazel

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hi Peter,

I don't need 5 wheels any longer, as I now have two. So I am only looking for 3 more. I seem to only be buying spare wheels at the moment, as the old style wheel weights seem to cause severe pitting to the alloy on most of the wheels I've been offered, they also seem to go on the mounting face, with what looks like lead based anti-sieze on the photos. I guess lead and magnesium are not friends. 3 weeks is not too long to wait for the right wheels!

Kind regards, Hazel
Hi Haze,

Thanks for your patience. When I get a chance to go check on the condition of my Campy rims, I can send you pix of the best I find and a report on any issues. It's a 2-hour round trip to my remote stash. So should you make other arrangements in the meanwhile let me know. I'll leave my e-mail below again. to make sending the fotos easier.

Thanks,
Peter
[email protected]

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hi Peter,

Kind regards, Hazel
Hi Hazel,

The weather cooperated enough to allow a raid on my remote stash yesterday. Of the 5 rims on my bone car, 2 were showing enough of the white corrosion dust that it didn't seem practical to dismount them for closer inspection. BUT... the other 3 seemed decent enough to bring home with me. It's still legally March (altho deeper in than I was guessing), so my original projection was not totally off target.

Enough time has past tho that your need for 3 more may have been solved, or lessened to 1 or 2 now. If you are still in need of the Campy style rims I can remove any weights and run them down to the high-pressure water blaster at a local car wash to get a better read on their condition. From that I can mark them as: Best/Better/Good and send you pix. These are off an '84 model... so dark charcoal color with silver outer ring.

No harm if you've already sourced all 5. You'll need my e-mail to review the pix--- [email protected]

Cheers,
Peter

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hazel we spoke a while back in regards the wheels I have very nice ones if still interested let me know

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Hazel,

The weather cooperated enough to allow a raid on my remote stash yesterday. Of the 5 rims on my bone car, 2 were showing enough of the white corrosion dust that it didn't seem practical to dismount them for closer inspection. BUT... the other 3 seemed decent enough to bring home with me. It's still legally March (altho deeper in than I was guessing), so my original projection was not totally off target.

Enough time has past tho that your need for 3 more may have been solved, or lessened to 1 or 2 now. If you are still in need of the Campy style rims I can remove any weights and run them down to the high-pressure water blaster at a local car wash to get a better read on their condition. From that I can mark them as: Best/Better/Good and send you pix. These are off an '84 model... so dark charcoal color with silver outer ring.

No harm if you've already sourced all 5. You'll need my e-mail to review the pix--- [email protected]

Cheers,
Peter
Hi Peter, PM sent. Yes, I'd be very interested in some Campagnolos, 1 possibly 2.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The 3 Campys I returned with all had weights mounted. The bimetallic erosion in that area made mine not as perfect as one would like. So... Hazel is still looking for one or two more. Anyone out there have an extra nice example to offer him?

Peter

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Van,
I tried to PM you, but I think it didn't get through. I'll take the top one, are you able/willing to ship to the UK? There are easier options using eBay's Global Shipping Program, save having a brain heamorrage filling in customs documentation.
Kind regards, Hazel

Peter,
Thankyou so much for all your effort, me and my Alfa really appreciate it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi Van,
I tried to PM you, but I think it didn't get through. I'll take the top one, are you able/willing to ship to the UK? There are easier options using eBay's Global Shipping Program, save having a brain heamorrage filling in customs documentation.
Kind regards, Hazel

Peter,
Thankyou so much for all your effort, me and my Alfa really appreciate it.
Hi haze

Don’t have an eBay account, I do have PayPal. If you like please send me your address so I can see what it will cost to ship. I would like to get 225.00 because I have a big request for these wheels. Plus I have to have the tire removed and have it spun to make rim is good just in case.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts