Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying and restoring an Abarth 750 Double Bubble and was hoping that someone viewing this thread might be able to steer me towards a private owner who might be looking to sell one. I have already done a Google search and that has not worked too well - I am mostly talking to dealers who are making their own mark-up. I understand their position, but I would like to eliminate the middle man if possible. I am not looking for a steal. I know these cars are not a cheap date, but I need to get into the car at a somewhat reasonable financial level if possible. I live in western PA, but am currently in AZ (for about ten more days). Any help would be much appreciated. Greg D.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Henry, Thanks for getting back with me on the Abarth on e-bay. The car was mysteriously pulled before the auction ended. It had stalled at $16,000 with three days to go. Greg

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi Greg

Buy the most complete car money can buy. I have been playing with these cars for the last thirty years and run the Yahoo group
abarthzagato : Fiat-Abarth Zagato 750 Gran Tourismo

If I can be of any help contact me at [email protected]
Cheers
Mark
Don,t they all ??
Yes and yes - been there and done that. I bought what I thought was a decent one - They seem small and cute and all but are a real money pit: Mine had the wrong engine, more than two bubbles in the body but boy did it look cute - and drove like ****.

Multiple thousands of $$ later, only on trying to set it up right (Suspension, brakes, engine tuning, specially engineered clutch, etc. etc.), and it was still not there. And that was before any beautification with the body and no: Those were just standard stuff that added up and not a rebuilt of anything.

Bless you if you can do it all yourself and are talented with the mechanicals (Easier on this car) and body work (Difficult). And expect to pay handsomely for any missing trim (Gauges at $800 a pop, I sold wind deflector aluminum trim for $300 that needed restoration, sold rear bumperettes for multiple $$$, and so on ... IF you can find the missing pieces at all. Anybody seen any front bumperettes lately?).

My last piece of advice: If you don't have the $80 - 90k to by a good one done, do not buy a resto project unless you can do all the work yourself, enjoy it and plan to do it for some time.

Mike

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Well....I am currently suffering similar issues with my Allemano. Mine fortunately has it's original engine and is fairly complete, but the rebuilt of the engine has been so far very painful. I however hope to be able to finish it late in 2011 or 2012

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can also weigh in on this. Here is my Record Monza, going on fours years working, mostly gathering the right parts. If you don't have the parts, you have to just put things on hold until you can find them. I had the incorrect engine and had to wait a good while to find a correct 850S pushrod engine with Abarth internals from an 850TC, which was original to my car.

You have to really enjoy the restoration process to take on an Abarth project.
It can be very satisfying when things go well, but equally frustrating when they don't.

If you are willing to do most, if not all the work yourself, then that is probably best, otherwise the car may sit a long time in a restoration shop waiting on correct parts.

The current values still probably don't support having a lot of the work done by others, unless you want to be upside down, although the values seem to be rising.

I would also say that it is best to buy a mostly complete car, with it's original engine , if possible.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
THAT picture must be heaven's front gate: Three Abarths and a Sepia Brown 911 - I guess a 73?

Love it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, it's a 73-1/2 CIS "T". A very nice original Arizona car. when the Abarths don't want to run, you can always count on the 911 to get you there.
Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts