Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im looking for any 1965-74 gt in project condition. must have complete be mostly complete and have complete drivetrain.
i am located in central illinois
any help would be great. thanks

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
A GTA in any condition will be huge $$$ over a commensurate GTV. It will help others help you if you will define more specifically what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Another helpful bit of info would be to know where you are (state, city, country, etc) so we can help narrow your search. I would also suggest looking in the "For Sale" Forum as a start. lots of possibilities there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for the additional help. this is my first time really using any forum like this and i have looked at the for sale forum and was unable to really find any that were still for sale.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats pretty much exactly what i want and i messaged the seller about it last night but i have yet to hear from him and im skeptical about its salvage title.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would not worry much about the salvage title. Cars are identified as salvage for many reasons. My sister-in-law had her car stolen and returned to her after three months. The insurance company reported the car salvaged to the DMV before returning it to her. Now there is no way to remove the word Salvage from the title. Nothing had happened to the car other than the thieves left their trash in the back seat!

When considering cars that are 40 years old, it is more important to perform a close visual inspection of the car to determine the actual condition rather than depending on some government issued document.

There are two drawbacks to Salvage title cars. One is that if you have an insurance claim, you will only get salvage value, unless of course, you have a stated value policy, which you should have with any collector car.

The second drawback is resale value. The perception that a non-salvage title is more valuable means that you will pay less when you buy the car, but then get less when you sell it.

If I didn't already have four Alfas clogging the driveway, I would be all over the silver GTV!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that really helps. thankyou
and as for resale value im not completely concerned because iv wanted a car like that and wouldnt plan on selling it anytime soon. and the seller messaged me back so hopefully the car wont have any big problems and wont have sold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if anybody has or knows of a gtv in running project condition that theyd be willing to sell for a reasonable price please let me know.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Sorry you missed out on the silver one. Don't fret... lots more to choose from. Also, you need to be patient to score "a good one" especially in the low $$$ range. I've been on this BB for a while and you don't often see running GTVs in the condition of the silver one for $7K. However, if you fixed the rust mentioned and put a decent paint job on that car ($3-5K) and paid a shop to repair the 2nd gear syncro ($1.5K) you'd now be at $11.5k - 13.5K plus any other (and yes there would be other) repairs... and you'd still have a salvage title GTV (already discussed). At that rate maybe a GTV like this @ $15.5k could be a consideration:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/172224-maroon-tan-1974-gtv-sale.html
Be patient and let your head rule your heart. It will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea i guess ull have to wait for the right one like u said.
i know a guy who lives down the street from me and races his gtv in chicago and i think has 1 or 2 others so ill probably also ask him about some of this stuff and if he knows anybody with a car for sale as well as continue watching this.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hello,

I just picked up a 1970 Euro GTV that I am in the process of evaluating. It has a 1750 with Webers that I was told last ran 2 years ago but I have yet to try to start it though i does turn by hand. The car had a full resto done 20 years ago and is still reasonably solid though the previous owner thought that covering it in bondo would be a good way to prevent rust. I have scraped off half of it so far with only some surface rust underneath so it is looking good so far. This is a complete car though the interior is a bit rough needing a new dash panel and the seats need to be done over. At this point, I am asking $4500.00, which will go up once I have the engine running.

I also have an early 1969 GTV (#65 of the model run) that is complete but needs a full resto for $5000.00 d if you want something a little different, a 1963 2600 Coupe (GTV on stearoids!) mostly complete project car for $5500.00. All these cars are located in Medway, MA.

Thanks,

Lou (Fat Dog Vintage Auto Parts)
[email protected]
508-930-1323

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
fatdog53, iv recived a message from someone in wisconsin with a 71 gtv and am waiting for pictures from him but if that falls through i would be interisted in what you have. Could you send some pictures of the 69 gtv and the 63 2600 coupe and tell me more about the 2600.
my email is [email protected]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts