Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
102 dist.

Do you need just the drive pinion? I had a few new drive pinions made up several years ago. I believe I have 2-3 left. $150 plus shipping. Contact Karen at [email protected] if this is what you need.

·
Registered
9,409 Posts
Philos, you may want to read this thread and this thread about aftermarket distributors with electronic ignition (but trouble is, the bronze worm wheel is not included in both cases).

·
Push hard and live
9,612 Posts
I installed a Pertronix kit into my Marelli distributor, and been completely satisfried at the improvement. Noticeable improvement in idling stability.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Don, The petronix kit sounds like a great idea , but my problem is that my skew gear drive of my 1900 distributor wont mesh with the gear on my 2000 camshaft!!!!!!!! I presume that the 2000 gear is entirely different! quite a big dilemma.
If its too easy its no fun, but if its too difficult its even less fun.
regards.
philip

·
Push hard and live
9,612 Posts
I believe some of the 1900 distributors were mounted on the exhaust side, rather than the intake side, and driven on the "inside" of the cam. I've not confirmed this, but wonder if the might result in driving that distributor in the opposite rotation from the 102. Thus, installing a 102 pinion onto a 1900 distributor might not work.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Hi All,

gear drive pinion 102 and 56-58 1900 are CW and pre 56 1900 are CCW

also distributor is turning : 102 and 56-58 1900 are CW and pre 56 1900 are CCW

and engine is turning : 102 and 56-58 1900 are CW and pre 56 1900 are CCW

rgds Franco

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Philip,
As Franco mentioned, distributors on the 1900 engines is a very very complex matter.
Since there are clockwise and anti-clockwise turning camshafts (single chain and double chains driving the shafts on later models) there are many different types of drive-pinions!
(I have seen 6 different specifications so far)

First there is the difference in fixing the pinion to the camshaft, can be a lh-thread or a rh-thread!
Then there are different skew-directions of the worm-wheel, this is because your distributor will only work turning in one specific direction.
My own Marelli and Bosch are different in turning-direction therefore they need different skew-directions!
Confused, you must be.
I, at one time, owned 3 different drive pinions with two distributors and still didn't have a working combination!! Driving you crazy.
Apparently you do have a 1900 distributor? Is it also the correct model for your 102 engine? Can you post a picture of it, including the worm-wheel, and also the the drive pinion?
And I would also need a picture of your housing/mounting, to see if it is driven on the inside or the outside of the camshaft.
Regards Michael

·
Push hard and live
9,612 Posts
Early 1900 engines turned CCW (viewed from front)? Never heard that before.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
The camshafts of engine are turning CCW and also distibutor is CCW
not the engine cranck
otherwise we have a 5 speed reverse .........
rgds franco

·
Push hard and live
9,612 Posts
How does the engine system reverse the direction of rotation between the cams and crank? Chains won't do that. I'm not that familiar with the 1900. Does it use gears between crank and intermediary sprocket? That would reverse the rotation.

I think I understand now why Alfa evolved the engine to the 2000.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
102 distributor drive. Eureka.

Hi Everyone.
A massive thanks to everyone who contributed to this discussion....
I had a Eureka Moment (aided by my son applying a bit of lateral thought)
The pinion on the end end of the Camshaft (1900 and 102) can be unscrewed and swopped over........Voila. I managed to remove the pinion quite easily with a 7/8 open ended spanner, couldn't use a ring or socket due to the pinion being wider than the flats, a little heat to soften the locktite and it unscewed without difficulty. Note that 1308 engine run CW as do the Camshafts so the pinion had a RH thread.

Having swopped the drive pinions on the camshaft it was a simple task to fit the 1900 distributor with its original housing and drive gear.

So whilst there may be many variable possibilities....the simple one came up trumps. Thanks to everyone. regards :)philip.http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts