Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it can go wrong it will. I set about rebuilding my brake calipers. Ordered the rebuild kits from Centerline. While waiting I cleaned the calipers and removed the old seals. No I did not split the calipers (I know some of you thought that was were I was going with this) What I did was even stupider. Assuming the rebuild kits would contain new retainer clips for the dust covers I tossed the old ones. Trash left on Friday. Rebuild lits arrived on Saturday, alas the Centerline kits do not contain the retainer clips. I ordered new kits from Performatek that do containthe clips (BTW they are more than twice the cost). Andy is a great guy but it took him 3 weeks to get them to me and then he was backordered for the front kits. Does anyone have 1 retainer clip for the front of a 71 spider (I think 71-74 will work) that they are willing to part with? I have 3 front retainer clips. I am 1 clip short of a full load! (or 1 brick shy of a full load). Please send me a personal email and I will provide an address. I will gladly pay anything reasonable and reinburse the shipping cost.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I've not tried it, but was always of a mind that a single loop cut off a suitably sized spring would do the job nicely. (basically that's all the stock part is anyway)

Now if one could find such a spring out there off the shelf somewhere, it might be worthwhile to pick it up and cut a hundred or so retainer rings off it.......

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
I learned the hard way as well to never, EVER, throw away any old parts until the component is back on the car and properly functioning. And if the old parts are in the bin, there's no way to compare that the new parts are correct.

·
Administrator
17,466 Posts
Any chance it is the same size as the calipers in an '84 Spider? I have one you can have.

I got rebuild kits from Advance Auto Parts (chain auto supply store). It is Beck/Arnley brand. And it included the retaining clips. Look here: caliper kit at Advance Auto or try part number 0713339

Anyway, if you want the one I gots, send me an email or PM with your mail address. I can get it to the post office today.

edited to add a picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine measure slightly smaller than the one pictured. Right at 2 1/4". But I am callin Advance Auto right now to see if the part is the same. I usually don't bother to check for stuff like this at my local auto parts store. When I say Alfa to the 20 year olds behind the counter look like I just hit them between the eyes with the butt of a screw driver. Whoda thunk it?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just cehcked with Advance and they can have them in 3 days. I went ahead and ordered them. Thanks to everyone!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to Advance Auto they are the same. I have ordered them locally and they were only $15. Very Cool!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts