Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, having decided to change tack on my resto, I am now in the market for a 1600 motor to go into my '66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce. I am looking for a number between 00536.00770 and 00536.11033.

As I currently have the gearbox and diff to match the 1300 from the Junior I am also looking for these, so if anyone has the whole drivetrain that will be great.

Condition is not an issue, I will likely rebuild the motor unless I know its history (confirmed by receipts etc).

Anyone with something to offer, or any leads, will be most welcome.

I have only posted this in the Aussie forum as I have no interest in trying to import one unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hi Gavin

From personal experience, with those early 1600 blocks you need to be really really really careful about corrosion of the liner seats. I've heard people say they can be fixed these days but even if it can be I'd only trust someone who really knew what they were talking about.

Later blocks were cast from much better material and didn't suffer as much.

Good luck finding a good one.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hi Cucinando

I have a AR00536-06501 available
Is in Sydney thou.
Maybe look more locally over there in WA.

Robert.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hey Robert - is that liner seat problem as widespread as I was suggesting or is it just a dim dark peronal past experience? Just I don't want to put Gavin off, that's all.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey Robert thanks, I am certainly casting a wide net over here but I hope I can keep you in reserve if need be. Do you have any plans for the motor right now? I have already brought a 1300 across the nullarbor, so no great scare about that. Can you hang in there with me please?

Alister thanks for the heads-up, I wasn't aware of the problem and will be sure to keep an eye out. The 1300 I have just rebuilt dated from about 1974 so probably not one that was susceptible.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Hi Gavin

Its here if you need it.

Aggie,Alister,,yes,they can + do suffer from corrosion at the bottom of the block where the liners sit.
It is a gamble,but hopefully a good repair shop can fix the problem.

Gavin,,the engine I have here might have the problem.
The car was bought to me without a head attached,so I reconditioned the head,fitted it,and had water in the oil.
Easiest and quickest way for me was to put in another second hand engine to get him home to Queensland.I did make him aware it might happen,and he took the risk.
The engine is here,with a fully reconditioned head.
One day I will pull it apart and fix the problem,unless you want to.
Its no big deal,just time consuming.
Noone really wants 1300-1600-1750 engines,except for originality.
Glad there are still some original,or going to be original,cars still around.
Cars are worth more original than modified,but hey,everyone is different,so no comments please.
It amases me that certain people will,and do,purchase NOS from around the world,then fit a twin spark engine.4 pot front brakes,Alfaholics excelent front end kit etc,then wonder why they cant get good money for their cars.
Everyones different,so lets keep it that way.Makes it more interesting.

Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts