Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and antenna operation at the very same time? Extend the antenna all the way up (help it if you need to) to get to full extension. Leaving it all the way up, take some really fine steel wool and clean up all the antenna segment shafts until they are nice and smooth!

Did this today and its a WORLD of difference! The steel wool will help conduct between the antenna segments resulting in better reception and higher signal gain due to lower impedance. Plus now the antenna goes all the way up and down really smooth !

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
goats

So the pieces of the fine steel wool remain under the end crimps of each segment therefore helping with the conductivity. Do I read you right?
Like dielectric grease without the grease/dirt issues.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
goats

So the pieces of the fine steel wool remain under the end crimps of each segment therefore helping with the conductivity. Do I read you right?
Like dielectric grease without the grease/dirt issues.
Dialectric grease is non-conductive.

Sanding the antenna does not reach the points of contact between the segments but you can spin each of the segments (except the top) while soaking with a alchohol rag to clean the point of contact.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
almost

when I fine-sanded with steel wool, I tried to get as close as possible to the segment joints as well as the entire shaft length. No doubt some amount of tiny steel wool particles /residue will find their way into the joints. How long will it last? Will it rust ? Dont know-- but I can say I probably got close to 2 dB gain increase in my AM radio reception

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Not to veer too far off topic, I was initially very disappointed with the reception of my 164LS's radio. I tried everything I knew to improve reception, including having the unit reconditioned, with no luck. Then I discovered what appeared to be a slight nick in the antenna cable as it ran underneath the console. I replaced the cable and it was like having a new radio.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another consideration?

Does anyone have a good recommendation for CONDUCTIVE grease or light lubricant? Not di-electric, but conductive.......might be a very useful concept for lots of things--------would probably prefer something that was not 'metal in oil' type approach but something with conductive bulk properties?

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Not non metalic, but what about graphite lock deice:)

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Graphite is resistive.
Any steel wool residue left behind will rust
Mosley Antennas used to make a joint compound for aluminum joints on large antennas and arrays. But I don't know if they still make/sell it. I had some of it but it was getting old and I might have pitched it in the move. I don't know if it would work for this or not. It's pretty icky and could mess up clothes if you got any on you.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Some years ago, I bought some Deoxit D5 from Centerline. The label says it "Improves conductivity, deoxidizes, seals and protects electrical connections"

I don't know about all that, but I have used it on control switches, the mirror control for example, and every wiring plug I open up, both on bikes and cars, and I can only say it is wonderful stuff - magic even!

The drill is to spray just a little on the conducting surfaces, move them together a few times to clean the crud off, wait a few seconds, then another light shot for protection and put it away.

I'm getting close to running out now, Centerline no longer sells it but you can get it direct from Caig Laboratories - website caig.com - Home of DeoxIT - CAIG Laboratories, Inc.

I can't recommend this stuff enough.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Caig Labs

Is right over the hill from my house, Dennis I was looking at their website yesterday. I think I will go over there in the next few days and see if they sell retail at the HQ. Literally its a 5 minute drive for me to go over there

I will report my findings!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Both indicator switches on the Passat and on the ZX came packed with graphite grease. After many years the grease would become waxy and no longer conductive.
Graphite is indeed resistive but it will have less resistance than a corroded or pitted contact. As me and my brother didn't want to buy a whole tin of grease just to use a spoon full, we made our own.

It is black though and that wouldn't look too nice on a shiny antenna. I suppose one could do some conductive grease with aluminium powder, which is very fine and very expensive. But you'd only need a little bit of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts