Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the Alfa BB. I just purchased my first Alfa, a 1974 GTV 2000. I'm considering changing the existing grill to the earlier and, in my opinion, better looking grill from the 70-72 GTVs.

Is this possible without too much modification?

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Hello, I'm new to the Alfa BB. I just purchased my first Alfa, a 1974 GTV 2000. I'm considering changing the existing grill to the earlier and, in my opinion, better looking grill from the 70-72 GTVs.

Is this possible without too much modification?

Thank you in advance.
Here in the US the '72 - '74 grills are all the same. It's the '69 - '71 that has the different style grill. I agree with you, I think it's better looking.

It is a direct fit, the sheet metal around the headlights is all identical.

HTH,

bs

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great information. Thank you.

What is the best way to source the parts?

The parts forum of course.

Is there a decent place to buy new ones?

I've been primarily a Porsche 356 guy and apologize for my lack of knowledge.

Thank you.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,419 Posts
Is there a decent place to buy new ones?
We carry new reproduction pieces for both the side grills and the center hearts, although we are waiting on stock for the center hearts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Joe. I will take a look at your website.

·
Registered
512 Posts
GT... Don't know if this will help.. But I switched my 74 to a 69 grill set up a while back.. Not hard to do.. The grill pieces fit right into the slots provided in the grill mounts.. The center heart I made simple brackets to attach the top and bottom securely... The alfa badge on the heart.. hides the mount screw to the top bracket.. the bottom is pretty easy to figure out and you'll probably make a better bracket than I did 14 years ago.. The pic shows the heart in place with the grill pieces... welcome to Alfa World.)

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Davo1954, Thanks. Nice job and good looking car.

Looks like you have done some work on your engine as well...

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
Please note that there are two slightly different grilles for the 1750; single clip and double clip. The first pic shows the small hole in the body into which the lower portion of the single clip grille attaches through the body. The second pic, which does not have a hole in the body, shows the locations which the double clip attaches to the body. In both cases, the top of the grille is attached via a machine screw to a captured nut that's in a bracket welded to the body (top arrow in pic 1).

Can't find pics of the grilles at the moment but will take some if you'd like. If you have difficulty finding the center grille anywhere, I should have new repros of both types on the shelf.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Papajam: Wonderful information and thank you so much for the pictures.

I am really impressed with the information that this community shares.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
We carry new reproduction pieces for both the side grills and the center hearts, although we are waiting on stock for the center hearts.
Joe - When you say "side grills" do you mean the metal mesh between the heart and the inner headlight or the plastic pieces between the inner and outer headlights?

GT Vita - Welcome to the GTV world. I've been waiting for more 356 guys to discover GTVs ;).

As an aside... Alfaholics offers excellent quality reproduction "stainless steel bars" that go on the mesh between the heart and the inner headlight. Don't be afraid of shipping costs to the US. They are VERY reasonable (3 day air too).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Fangio8c. I definitely like the look of the stainless bars and plan to add them. Is there a good Alfa group in Northern California?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Here is your AROC chapter's website: http://www.alfa-dsarc.org/

I used to be a member of this chapter but found that I never attended any events as they were all too far away from me. IMHO, AROC should have another chapter that covers "Coastal Northern CA". But maybe there's just not enough interest.

Of course, there are probably lots more Alfas (and therefore events) in the Bay Area and around Napa/Sonoma (Sears Point/Infinion Raceway).

Don't forget to regularly check the "Events" forum here on the AlfaBB.

Let me know if you're ever coming up the 101 into Redwood country.

BTW... I've seen lots of converted grills and think it is a great look for the newer GTVs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts