Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
881 - 883 of 883 Posts

·
Administrator
12,908 Posts
Easier said than done in this case, I think. The car won't pass inspection without the factory ECU (in Texas at least). Plus, it's not clear what other systems might be inter-dependent. For example, the brake by wire, the differential, the ABS, all talk to the ECU. Here's an article that talks about all the problems even a pro race team had trying to deal with all the software and electrics issue when using non-factory systems in a Corvette:

https://jalopnik.com/turning-a-salvage-corvette-z06-into-a-race-car-is-a-pai-1796069041

Some of the things you talk about can be done on many models with the factory ECU. Plus, I the QV already allows you to turn driver aids like traction control off.
:(.

Sounds like it is best to buy an engine and say repower a GTV6 with it :surprise:
Pete

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Car magazine, February 2019, page 89, George Kacher quoted as saying the take up rate for manual transmissions is 3%. He's talking about Europe. Not talking about the M car range specifically.

I note that the Giulia QF was equipped with a ZF manual S6 53 good for 600 Nm of torque. But in the same issue of Car they report the only manual 6 spd M3/M4 will be detuned from the power and torque outputs available on most of the range because the strongest manual gearbox they have is that S6 53. To be bashed Pure they will be analogous to Porsche's whacky 911R.

So, no, ZF isn't going to be building any stronger manual gearboxes. Top rated cars will all have to be automatics of some sort. Tremec gearboxes aren't very good, just btw.

ZF Automatics from around 2008 onward are very robust, sealed for life under normal service conditions and handle a wide range of maximum torques.

881 - 883 of 883 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.