Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
401 - 420 of 883 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,334 Posts
Yes, R mode switches all electronics off, even ABS. But if it's beyond driver's control, stability control switches on automatically.
On the 4C Race Mode does not switch off the ABS.

What actually happens is that Race Mode switches off the traction and stability controls. However if you brake to the point where ABS activates, the stability control comes back on briefly until the car thinks you have everything under control again...

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Will someone please explain the reasoning behind the disabling of this feature; and does anyone know how to enable it or lead me to someone who does?
The gearbox automatically selects neutral when required.

There would never be a reason to manually select neutral.

·
Registered
24 Posts
"When required," by what or whom? Please explain.

When sitting at a traffic light, with the stop/start feature having been disabled at start-up, what prevents the transmission from pulling the vehicle forward if the driver is unable to select Neutral when in manual (shift-paddle) mode? Yes, I'm aware one can prevent the "creep" forward by depressing the brake peddle and holding it down; some of us who have only ever driven manual transmission vehicles as our DDs find this quirk rather annoying.

When in automatic mode one can simply push the gear-lever forward into Neutral once stopped and pull it back into Drive when the light changes. Please note, use of the lever-release button is not required in this situation; nor is its use required when going from Reverse through Neutral into Drive.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
Not sure what this auto BS has to do with wanting a manual gearbox......?

Just delete these posts and start your own thread to do with your actual issue so that some else on the forum having the same issues can find the solution instead of hijacking threads.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Addressing your original topic: Currently, with the singular exception of the left-hand drive QV, no Giulia with an ICE is available with a MT (and, there are no plans to offer such an option); even that will be going away with the Giulia's mid-cycle refresh. The only Giulias where a MT is available as an option are ones with a CIE.

Having driven MT's for sixty (60) years and being hesitant about an AR with an AT, I test drove a Ti Lusso with the Performance Package [paddle shifters, LSD, adaptive dampers (loved my '95 164 QV which had them)]. With the dna rotary knob set to Dynamic, the dampers set to Firm, and the gear-lever set to Manual Mode, the transmission held any gear (which it will not do in the other two settings) until one flicks a paddle to go up or down and it did so twice as fast as when in the other dna settings. I am in agreement with the auto journalists, the ZF 8HP50 (second generation) is one superb transmission ...very involving! I immediately ordered up a '18 Ti Sport (for the sport seats) with the Sport Performance Package (Q2).

Conversations drift. This thread had been doing so for several pages before I joined in. Don't let yourself get obsessed with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Manual 'box please! I just bought a 2018 Ti Sport Q4 Performance. They only reason I didn't buy one a year ago is because I wanted a manual gearbox. I still do. BMW and Audi both offer a manual, but faking the engine sound is absolutely unforgivable. The Giulia was just much better to drive. The 8-spd auto works great, and the beautifully-done aluminum paddles (the material and the motion) make them FAR more satisfying to use than any competitors' paddles. It's still NO SUBSTITUTE for a proper manual 'box.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
"When required," by what or whom? Please explain.

When sitting at a traffic light, with the stop/start feature having been disabled at start-up, what prevents the transmission from pulling the vehicle forward if the driver is unable to select Neutral when in manual (shift-paddle) mode? Yes, I'm aware one can prevent the "creep" forward by depressing the brake peddle and holding it down; some of us who have only ever driven manual transmission vehicles as our DDs find this quirk rather annoying.

When in automatic mode one can simply push the gear-lever forward into Neutral once stopped and pull it back into Drive when the light changes. Please note, use of the lever-release button is not required in this situation; nor is its use required when going from Reverse through Neutral into Drive.
The brake pedal should ALWAYS be applied while stopped unless parked, unless you set the emergency brake instead in which case the transmission should be in neutral or park.

It is bad practice to continually select neutral when stopped for a short time. The automatic is engineered to remain in drive in those situations. Selecting neutral and then drive actually causes more wear in the transmission than leaving it in drive.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Manual 'box please! I just bought a 2018 Ti Sport Q4 Performance. They only reason I didn't buy one a year ago is because I wanted a manual gearbox. I still do. BMW and Audi both offer a manual, but faking the engine sound is absolutely unforgivable. The Giulia was just much better to drive. The 8-spd auto works great, and the beautifully-done aluminum paddles (the material and the motion) make them FAR more satisfying to use than any competitors' paddles. It's still NO SUBSTITUTE for a proper manual 'box.
The problem is that the newest automatics are a substitute for manual shift. That's why manual gearboxes are becoming obsolete.

Manual gearboxes are still purchased for essentially sentimental or esthetic reasons, like wearing a tuxedo for example or riding a horse.

Every racing driver would choose an automatic shift if given the option. They are usually banned in racing because they are superior in every way to manual shifts.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Addressing your original topic: Currently, with the singular exception of the left-hand drive QV, no Giulia with an ICE is available with a MT (and, there are no plans to offer such an option); even that will be going away with the Giulia's mid-cycle refresh. The only Giulias where a MT is available as an option are ones with a CIE.
This might be a dumb question, but what is ICE and CIE?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The problem is that the newest automatics are a substitute for manual shift. That's why manual gearboxes are becoming obsolete.

Manual gearboxes are still purchased for essentially sentimental or esthetic reasons, like wearing a tuxedo for example or riding a horse.

Every racing driver would choose an automatic shift if given the option. They are usually banned in racing because they are superior in every way to manual shifts.
Modern automatics (whether torque-converter auto, or dual-clutch or single-clutch "semi-manual"), as I stated in my original post, are not even close to being a substitute for a manual gearbox. To each his own, but not for me. Nowhere near. I can tell you with absolute certainty that, for me, it has nothing to do with sentimentality or aesthetics. I prefer driving with a manual transmission by an enormous margin, no matter how much "better" the auto (of whichever type) may be. I enjoy the mechanical tactility of using a gear lever and a clutch pedal. The degree of mechanical interaction with the car is on an entirely different level. With a true manual, the car does what I want it to, whether I tell it do the right thing or the wrong thing. With every paddle-shift 'box, there is always a computer interpreting my input. Also, with a manual, I never have to look at the dash display to know what gear I'm in.

Regarding racing drivers, well, when they're racing, every fraction of a second counts. The Giulia is a road car, and driver involvement is much more important to me than a few fractions of a second in standing-start acceleration. Moreover, many racing drivers prefer a manual 'box in their road cars. Lewis Hamilton, for example, ordered his Pagani Zonda with a manual 'box -- and said he did so because he simply finds manuals more fun.

There is a reason why, for example, Porsche built the GT4 manual-only, is now building GT3s with manual gearboxes again, and still sells 911s, Boxsters and Caymans with manuals. There is a reason why Aston Martin is going to continue to offer a manual. Alfa Romeo builds enthusiasts' cars, and many of us would buy one with a manual. The lack of it is BY FAR the biggest reason I didn't buy one earlier.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Modern automatics (whether torque-converter auto, or dual-clutch or single-clutch "semi-manual"), as I stated in my original post, are not even close to being a substitute for a manual gearbox. To each his own, but not for me. Nowhere near. I can tell you with absolute certainty that, for me, it has nothing to do with sentimentality or aesthetics. I prefer driving with a manual transmission by an enormous margin, no matter how much "better" the auto (of whichever type) may be. I enjoy the mechanical tactility of using a gear lever and a clutch pedal. The degree of mechanical interaction with the car is on an entirely different level. With a true manual, the car does what I want it to, whether I tell it do the right thing or the wrong thing. With every paddle-shift 'box, there is always a computer interpreting my input. Also, with a manual, I never have to look at the dash display to know what gear I'm in.

Regarding racing drivers, well, when they're racing, every fraction of a second counts. The Giulia is a road car, and driver involvement is much more important to me than a few fractions of a second in standing-start acceleration. Moreover, many racing drivers prefer a manual 'box in their road cars. Lewis Hamilton, for example, ordered his Pagani Zonda with a manual 'box -- and said he did so because he simply finds manuals more fun.

There is a reason why, for example, Porsche built the GT4 manual-only, is now building GT3s with manual gearboxes again, and still sells 911s, Boxsters and Caymans with manuals. There is a reason why Aston Martin is going to continue to offer a manual. Alfa Romeo builds enthusiasts' cars, and many of us would buy one with a manual. The lack of it is BY FAR the biggest reason I didn't buy one earlier.
Spot-on, exactly! Alfa Romeo miscalculated and should reconsider their decision to kill the manual gearbox, especially on the quadrifoglio cars.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Stirring a stick around and pumping a clutch pedal really has nothing to do with driving. On that reasoning power steering and power brakes interfere with man's connection to machine.

It may surprise you to learn that the Giulia uses power brakes that aren't even connected to the brake pedal. The driver input is translated by pressure on a rubber block into brake line pressure.

The power steering is highly servo'd and the steering geometry carefully designed to maximize cornering grip over a specific steering angle range.

You are totally kidding yourself if you think manually shifting gears connects you to a Giulia like it did to a Milano, for example.

Move with the times or buy an old car and fix it up.

401 - 420 of 883 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.