Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Indeed a very good find. Had the same thing. Sleeping beauty, I have now, was asleep for 10 years in the elements of Florida under a rotting tarp. Took the SPICA off and soaked it for a week in carb cleaner. Trying to move it. Massaged it every morning before work and then one day it turned. Put it back in and got her started and woke her up slowly. Drove it for months before I had to change the head gasket. The tank needed the most TLC. Stripped it with degreaser then a caustic mix of lye and hot water, then sealed it with the POR 15 tank sealent system. No problem with the tank any more. The fuel pump is on it way out but the SPICA is running great. No fuel in the gas....yet. Guess that time will come.

congrats again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Crazy of me. Ya no fuel in the gas, right... That would be cool to see. Must have been sleep typing again. Ment to say no fuel in the oil.

Fuel leaking by the injectors into the oil side of the SPICA pump, then into the crank case can be an indication of a worn and tired SPICA pump. I have not seen this happen to mine...yet. BUT, Still a little worried about the small needle bearing that rides on the end of the cam follower carving a grove in the 3D cam.

Had to order a Thermostatic Actuator due to the one that was in there, was out of tolerance.Way out. Highly recommend the SPICA manual from Wes Imgram if you feel you need to do a tune up on the SPICA pump. Had to make a tool made out of copper tubing, copper plate and a threaded bolt to make some adjustments. Can give you the simple design of it, if needed.

congrats again.... Hope I didn't make any more silly typos... : )

·
Registered
66 Posts
Agree...I will be installing a new pump to bring the fuel flow back up. Getting around the .4 Gallons per minute mark with new filters. Otherwise the SPICA in working wonderfully and is a centerpiece to most conversations about the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.