Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I remember when these things were big in the early 90's. I was in high school and everyone that was into cars admired the Corrado. A very cool car for VW that today has developed quite a niche for enthusiasts. But during the time of its production there was a slump in the sports car market in the USA. VW couldn't sell these...just like Alfa couldn't sell Spiders...and Ford couldn't sell Probes. The only exception to this rule I believe was the boring Miata. By the mid-nineties things had changed but the Corrado was already old by then and was discontinued in 1995. Other than being at the wrong place at the wrong time, it was a very cool car.

I know VW toys with the idea of a successor to the Corrado from time to time but so far nothing has been confirmed for production as far as I know.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I allways loved the Scirocco's stlye, then again I also loved the Isuzu Impuse "Lotus" editon too. I was so close to buying a brand new 1989 Jetta 4 door 16V but they wanted 18K I think. It would have been at the abosolute max for my budget at the time so I bought a brand new CRX SI. It was fun but the Jetta was a way nicer car. A good friend of mine bought the first gen Corrado. Supercharged right?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's correct, supercharged, called the model the G60, named after its G-Ladder supercharger. VW's are great cars, the corrado was an end of an era where they were biased towards handling rather then ride. The Jetta III marked a new generation of sloppier handling VW's.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
That's correct, supercharged, called the model the G60, named after its G-Ladder supercharger. VW's are great cars, the corrado was an end of an era where they were biased towards handling rather then ride. The Jetta III marked a new generation of sloppier handling VW's.
I noticed the same difference between the Golfs that I owned. They use to be fun...but lately they are just average.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I noticed the same difference between the Golf that I owned which was an '88 and the one that a friend of mine owned which was a '00. They use to be fun...but lately they are just average.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Here's one from Top Gear a number of years ago. Saab, 164, and Thema

1 - 9 of 9 Posts