Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Richard Jemison
8,619 Posts
VVT Cam mounts

Both late & early mount to cams the same way. "Screw & Glue".

The pic is of internal VVt parts, not of cam mounting, FYI.

The early VVT can be modified and used without electronic hassles with good cams even on carbed cars..:p

·
Richard Jemison
8,619 Posts
Vvt

Simple things first.

Murray:
VVTs on exhaust... are only for emission motors:p
Advancing the exhaust cam moves it from "best performance to better torque" (Tq creates Hp) usually a good thing in street motors, but with VVTs on that side, they are a waste of your $$.

The best position for a "performance" exhaust cam is where it is set so there is clearance of .090 between Piston & valve. Any change in that and exhaust cam timing is about something else. But exhaust cams are exhaust cams. General purpose cams are not.

The best setup is proper cam designs on both sides! Ask Bill!

As to VVT use:

Using high lift Performance cams with VVTs modified to advance at 27500-3000 RPM is somthing I have done for years. It is simplier for me to use Centrifugal as I understand the significant unreliability of any electrical component in a race environment. VVTs only do one thing and above the trigger RPM who cares. There is no reason to turn them on & off. Unless you are in Calif. No other sources of oil leaks either.
I won`t change my mind, so don`t bother arguing.

They all screw onto cams and are "LockTite"`d in place. See front & back picture below of both designs with the RJR221 intake cam on a VVT core.

This is a 12.1mm lift cam with Very Torquey high HP profile that is the same cam used on Bob Hoye`s (Subtle) 2 liter 101 Spider (without VVT but you need it with FI)

The elec VVT can be mod. for reduced advance on intake but 8 is the minimum worthwhile.

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
8,619 Posts
VVTs

So, to ask again, is it possible that VVT's are not all interchangeable?
They are. You should have enough mechanical savvy to set timing as when they screw down they will require adjusting.

Mechanical VVT on the intake only is good. Little advantage on the exhaust side?
VVT as Alfa builds is only good on Intake, Elec or Mech.

·
Richard Jemison
8,619 Posts
Retard?

the Alfa VVT looks like it is designed to RETARD the intake cam from an initial, about, 114* before TDC to about 102*, assuming about 12 crankshaft * built into it's mechanism.

This correct?

Thanks, Martin
114 to 102 is retard? Hmm......?
I think there needs to be more reasearch & less typing mmb:rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.