Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have a question about S4 solenoids, What is inside of them? Just a plunger? Seems mine is missing a spring and a small tip. I can not understand how it can work without them as the big plunger inside of the solenoid is not touching pushroad (2)

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
well, yes, if you do not have the little tip and tiny spring in there, it can't work.
The solenoid might be working but w/o the actuating tip it won't be contacting the cam pushrod (2)

have you opened it up and checked to see? It might just be stuck in there.
Photo (posted in post #1 above) shows actuating tip with the tiny spring coiled around it, which gets pushed by the solenoid plunger.

plunger.jpg

the little actuating tip...if it's not in there, its not going to work
vvt solenoid.jpg

·
Registered
703 Posts
My thought is to fabricate the missing pin from nail and use a spring from pen.

Could you please measure the size of the pin.

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
you sure it is not there?
you won't see it if the VVT is not completely removed from the cam cover...it won't be visible just by removing the big plunger if the VVT is still on the car.

it is very unlikely someone bolted the VVT to your car w/o the little pin....why?

·
Registered
703 Posts
you sure it is not there?
you won't see it if the VVT is not completely removed from the cam cover...it won't be visible just by removing the big plunger if the VVT is still on the car.

it is very unlikely someone bolted the VVT to your car w/o the little pin....why?
I think I lost it when disassembled the solenoid. But do not remember if something fall off.
I took the solenoid off to change the rubber bushing. Disassemble it, changed the o-ring. I remember the tip was visible and the VVT was in working condition.

Will try to figure out how to fix it. Seems nothing complicated:)

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
I think I lost it when disassembled the solenoid. But do not remember if something fall off.
I took the solenoid off to change the rubber bushing. Disassemble it, changed the o-ring. I remember the tip was visible and the VVT was in working condition.

Will try to figure out how to fix it. Seems nothing complicated:)
OK Max,
as I have a NOS solenoid somewhere, I will open it and measure up the plunger and spring for you.

(edit) Ok here you go:
the spring grabs tight just at the neck (the very end coil must be tighter spun)
As the VVT inside is coned where that fits into, there shouldn't be too much trouble dropping a "DIY piece" in there.

The important bit really from what I can see is the thin shank of the pin fits easily through the VVT hole....you don't want it tight so that it sticks and the tiny spring cannot retract it when the solenoid de-activates.
The pin seens to be quality hard steel, not some junk that will weardown.

anyway hope it helps.
VVT auctuator pin.jpg

Dom

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Sounds questionable to me if it can be done, might be able to find a used VVT if all else fails, forget the Alfa junk yard guy's name but I got mine from him. I'll look it up if someone doesn't beat me to it.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
I'd try a stainless 3mm x 16mm dowel pin (clevis pin)
3mm shaft dia (I measured 2,95 but these digital vernier calipers are not dead accurate) x 16mm shaft length (without head), so should add up to 17mm length in total.

something like this...the hole at the end won't matter
3x16 dowel pin.jpg

If worse comes to worst and you want a NOS solenoid, let me know, as I have one, but I'd try the 10 cent solution first;)

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
So Max,
any luck with fabricating a pin for your VVT?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts