Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
that's a good bit of info Mike!

Mine is from an S4, and looks slightly different (white end cap, and inside there is sort of a shoulder over which a small O ring fits.......perhaps an improved version?;))

anyways, just went out and took the end off my VVT (OK mine was working, but just to check....kinda preventative medicine if you will!).........all OK, pops in and out as smooth as silk....oily in fact, although none is leaking out.

some photos just to show the small O ring in there and the thin rubber seal around the end cap, which one shouldn't lose;)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
try to avoid scoring up the pin with naked pliers, use a bit of leather and mole grips (vice grips I think you call them) and try twisting it whilst gently pulling and pushing and spraying release lubricant like PB or similar.

It should move freely, that's why it aint working in your case (unless the electric solenoid has also given up the ghost)

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
Good evening-I just did a inspection on my VVT and mine is lacking the small O ring and the thin rubber seal around the end cap
there is also an O ring behind the VVT mount where the little "T" plunger goes through the cam cover....that O ring is size: A-007
(I know it's not what you are asking about, just VVT info for this thread!)

Somewhere I have a brand new solenoid, if I find it I will have a look.

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
Chuck,
well I found it eventually:)

Strangely it did not have the cover gasket (but it is NOS, as those screws were in there really tight, and had a slight threadlock on them!)
the little O ring that fits on the brass sleeve is really very flimsy but I measured as carefully as I can and came up with:

ID (inner diameter): 10.16 mm
CS (cross-section): 1.05 mm

closest O ring in metric to that would be called:
1mm CS x 10mm ID
1mm CS X 10mm ID (NBR) Buna-N 70 Duro Metric O-Ring [N1.00X010] : The O-Ring Store LLC, We make getting O-Rings easy!

the 'ceramic' cover (material is similar to a ceramic fuse) has a little bevel (my jewellers screwdriver is pointing to this bevel in the 2nd photo) that accomodates this O ring when it is all screwed tight together, and even the male spade connectors are sleeved in plastic or rubber.

String instrument Musical instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments Guitar

Electronic component Technology Electronic device Electronics Electrical connector

Dom

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
tbh I cannot see how oil would leak from there anyway.
I think it is more to keep water/dust out and keep the small amount of factory lubricating oil in!

If the O ring in the cam cover leaked, it would leak downwards before travelling along the pin, jumping over to the solenoid pin and into the solenoid;)

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
well, yes, if you do not have the little tip and tiny spring in there, it can't work.
The solenoid might be working but w/o the actuating tip it won't be contacting the cam pushrod (2)

have you opened it up and checked to see? It might just be stuck in there.
Photo (posted in post #1 above) shows actuating tip with the tiny spring coiled around it, which gets pushed by the solenoid plunger.

Auto part

the little actuating tip...if it's not in there, its not going to work
Auto part Metal

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
you sure it is not there?
you won't see it if the VVT is not completely removed from the cam cover...it won't be visible just by removing the big plunger if the VVT is still on the car.

it is very unlikely someone bolted the VVT to your car w/o the little pin....why?

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
I think I lost it when disassembled the solenoid. But do not remember if something fall off.
I took the solenoid off to change the rubber bushing. Disassemble it, changed the o-ring. I remember the tip was visible and the VVT was in working condition.

Will try to figure out how to fix it. Seems nothing complicated:)
OK Max,
as I have a NOS solenoid somewhere, I will open it and measure up the plunger and spring for you.

(edit) Ok here you go:
the spring grabs tight just at the neck (the very end coil must be tighter spun)
As the VVT inside is coned where that fits into, there shouldn't be too much trouble dropping a "DIY piece" in there.

The important bit really from what I can see is the thin shank of the pin fits easily through the VVT hole....you don't want it tight so that it sticks and the tiny spring cannot retract it when the solenoid de-activates.
The pin seens to be quality hard steel, not some junk that will weardown.

anyway hope it helps.
Text Diagram Line Font Handwriting

Dom

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
I'd try a stainless 3mm x 16mm dowel pin (clevis pin)
3mm shaft dia (I measured 2,95 but these digital vernier calipers are not dead accurate) x 16mm shaft length (without head), so should add up to 17mm length in total.

something like this...the hole at the end won't matter
Fashion accessory Auto part Metal Muffler Titanium

If worse comes to worst and you want a NOS solenoid, let me know, as I have one, but I'd try the 10 cent solution first;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.