Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, there is something that I learned today that I want to share with you. I condemned a new Spider owners vvt solenoid that we couldn't get to activate when applying 12v to it.

He sourced a new one, and the the dead one stayed on my shelf. Tonight my curiosity took over and I decided to take the plastic end cap off, and started poking around. I eventually realized the guts would come apart and was surprised and excited to find the parts were so gritty feeling as they came out. So I cleaned the parts, lubed them up and put them back in, and tested the solenoid and it works!!! Also, did you know that putting a simple 9v battery to the blade terminals of the solenoid is enough to test it (no need to jumper 12v to it from somewhere else on the car).

So although the vvt can still fail electronically, if you test it and it doesn't trigger, check to make sure the guts aren't binding from a build up of internal crud.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Vince,
Yes, the big pin pushes that little pin.
I'm guessing the power to the solenoid creates some kind of magnetic field that advances the big pin, and then the little spring on the little pin retracts when the power is cut off to the solenoid.
I couldn't believe how those pins were border line seized inside there.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like someone could start a cottage industry, cleaning and refurbing these (and maybe similar other parts ??) on an exchange basis, so that cars get back on the road quickly...and costs stay in line.
That's funny, a co-worker that I share my Alfa repair and learning experiences with, said the exact thing to me yesterday. Here's an idea... you supply the cottage and I'll supply the labour!!!

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found that out as well. This morning I took apart another solenoid (white end cap), which in speaking and confirming with what Vince has on his car, I concluded the white one were on S4's. Yes, it has the additional o-ring and I also noticed the larger pin also has a flat down its length. Like you said, perhaps improvements.

I hope this info helps save un-dead solenoids from finding their way into the garbage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.