Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 Grad. and the previous owner went to dual sidedrafts after the fuel injection stopped functioning, but when he did he removed the VVT completely. I guess I dont HAVE to have it. He drove it 10 years without it, but I would like to know if it really affects the performance that much or does it matter if its gone? I am hoping to do some performance upgrades including ditching the points dizzy he installed and going with an aftermarket electronic dizzy. I have had the same ignitor from pertronix in my BMW since 1987 and it I dont like adjusting and cleaning points. Any suggestions on a certain dizzy for it? On my BMW upgrading the coil to the Bosch red top is a must. Would this help the Spider any?

thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Your 86 did not have a "points" dizzy.
The PO most likely replaced the Injection System, going to carbs, but leaving the Ignition system stock.
Quite possibly he may have replaced the OE VVT cam (Intake) with a pre 82 cam.
You need to check what cam you have. VVT cam is not great for carbs.

Elio

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know mine had electronic ignition. He removed it when he removed the FI system and teh VVT. The cam was not replaced! The motor is completely stock internally. It actually still has the bracket on the front of the head for the VVT. Im guessing the car has some sort of ECU problem when he got it as he said none of the engine controls worked. I have been thinking about doing some upgrades, but I want to address some of these things Im not sure about before I get to carried away.

·
Registered
811 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
You should remove the camshaft cover and look at the intake cam to ascertain if it is the Original Bosch Spider cam (it will have the hydraulic VVT cam advance mechanism visible at the sprocket end) if he did not replace it, that would be one of the first things you may want to do. Non VVT intake cams are easily available used. In any event the VVT cam will hold you back a great deal using carbs, if you don't change it.
Another consideration, as an aside, is whether in FL 86 MY cars are subject to smog tests..?
TTFN Elio

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no SMOG in Fl. which is nice. I had considered putting the Fi back on and making it original but then I thought of the fact that I already have the side drafts so I may as well do all the performance add ons I want. Thanks for the links. I have been considering the dizzy from Centerline. It seems like the best aftermarket one for the money. I am certain the P.O. did not replace the cam shaft. I was looking at the cam options taht Centerline offered as well. Im planning on this being a longer restoration and would like to make some power but not go broke trying to make a couple hp. Id like the Spider to be comparable to my BMW or at least kinda close.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Your biggest bang for the buck is to replace the restrictive one piece exhaust manifold with a 2piece Alfa pre 74 or After90, or headers.

The intake cam you should get Used for Less than $100. The exhaust cam you have is fine.
TTFN Elio

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the 2 piece pre 74 manifold and aftermarket exhaust with no cats already. New dizzy a red top bosch coil and pre vvt intake cam. Any other things I should look into? I wish I had someone local that knew about these Solex ADDHE's that are on it. A good professional carb. tuning would help alot. Are there any good low resistance plug wires for these cars?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts