Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I purchased my Spider quite some time ago, it’s the first one I’ve driven and while it seems to run OK I always felt that it lacked a certain cammyness or snappyness. While I was poking under the hood chasing vacuum leaks and cleaning grounds the other day I decided to check the VVT solenoid. With the ignition on I rolled the throttle forward and.. No click, no observable movement of the plunger. I removed the solenoid connector and put a volt meter across the terminals and repeated the test, still nothing happening. Next I checked the throttle position switch, it seems to change state as expected.

I went to the BB and looked at the VVT threads (thanks guys) and noticed that a fuse in the engine compartment was mentioned. I found one fuse, it seemed to be going in the direction of the coil and checked it out. The fuse was good, I cleaned some corrosion off the fuse holder and tried again.. Still no luck and I’m fresh out of ideas. Any suggestions?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,855 Posts
What year is your Spider? There are two electronic VVT designs (through '89 and '90-'94) and they operate differently. It will help with troubleshooting.

·
Administrator
16,362 Posts
Apply 12V to the solenoid's terminals (polarity does not matter). The solenoid should then move to prove the solenoid itself functions. If so, it sounds like the circuit board for the solenoid is faulty. I do not know any quick/easy/cheap fixes for the circuit board. Perhaps a used replacement? Try Alfa Parts Exchange.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts