Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know at what rpm the electric VVT on a 93 should start to advance the intake cam. Just checked mine and the plunger doesn't look like its moving. I didn't have anyone looking at the guage while I was doing the throttle so I'm sure what rpm I had it up too.
The two spade connectors are clean and tight.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Check with Msiert

Check his thread or PM him. He did all sorts of stuff with his VVT - including adding one to the exhaust cam.:eek:

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,778 Posts
The Motronic VVT is actuated by the ECU based on engine load, I believe, not at a particular RPM. If you watch it while you manually open and close the throttle plate you should see it actuate pretty soon after you come off idle and then de-actuate as you close the throttle.

If it's really not working it might be sticking, in which case you're supposed to spray the plunger with WD40 through the little hole on the passenger side. The VVT is actuated by a relay that's triggered by the ECU signal so if you still can't get it working you might want to check that circuit.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks tom,
I checked through the manual and couldn't find much except how to mechanically readjust clearences.
Any idea as to what kind of voltage the solonoid recieves during advance?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Motronic VVT is actuated by the ECU based on engine load, I believe, not at a particular RPM. .

Tom,
Just reread you post, are you saying that if I operate the throttle in nuetral gear that the VVT won't advance because thier's no drivetrain load?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
The VVT solenoid is a full 12 volt unit, and IIRC, it actuates somewhere just south of 3000 rpm. And yes, the plunger is visible and obvious in its movement. Indeed, it may be just oily and gummed up and some good old WD40 might do the trick for you.;)

If there is no movement, I suggest you clip into the solenoid leads with a VOM and check for the signal from the relay. Also, disconnect the wire leads and check for continuity through the solenoid windings. The relay is located under the shelf behind the seats, and again, IIRC, it is the second one from the center of the car. I'll check it after I get home this afternoon and verify that with you. Worst case, if the relay is bad, it is a conventional plug-in single pole, double throw 12VDC automotive relay, available at any autoparts place.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,778 Posts
Tom,
Just reread you post, are you saying that if I operate the throttle in nuetral gear that the VVT won't advance because thier's no drivetrain load?
No, it'll actuate fine in neutral. I just don't remember if it will *stay* actuated if you hold steady RPMs in neutral. If you rev the throttle up and down though you'll definitely see it engage and disengage, even in neutral.

Like everything else in the car the solenoid is 12V. Since it's actuated by a relay (and not directly by the ECU) it should be safe to pull off the solenoid wires and put a voltmeter on them. You can also just check to see if the relay clicks as you have someone rev the throttle up and down. I *think* it's the second from the driver's side near the ECU behind the passenger's seat (there's like four relays there). You should just be able to reach in through the access door and feel for the click.

[Edit: Dave already said a lot of this stuff :)]

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Tom and Dave
I think I have enough info now to do a proper check.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Super-- let us know how it all comes out. It shouldn't be a huge problem. Thanks for confirming the relay location there, Gubi. At my age, one can imagine all kinds of things, and it ain't always accurate!:D

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I checked for voltage at the solenoid and its zip. I think I complicated matters by installing a Squadra chip awhile back, which I'm pretty sure modifies the ECU signal to VVT. I've sent an E-mail out to the manufacturer asking particulars but haven't heard back yet. She's up on jack stands right now with other issues so I'm just going to wait for a response before I go any further.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,778 Posts
Ah, the plot thickens.

When I got a Squadra chip, I too had some weirdness with the VVT. After a lot of back and forth with Stephan at Squadra he figured out that there was an issue with the chip that affected the VVT only on certain cars. Some revised code fixed the issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts