Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to combine the classic or semi-correct look with a bit of performance. Is 185R-14 too big or should I go with 175R-14. I have my heart set on the vredenstein sprint+ because they don't make the clasic in 14" So my question is will 185 be big enough too effect the steering feel or should I go 175?
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Personally I'd go for 185/70-14 or 165-14, the latter being original equipment. For the purist 165's have a little nicer steering feel but I would give that up for a little more stick. Non 70-series 185's and 175's are rather big tires and IMO wouldn't suit the car that well.

·
Premium Member
21,356 Posts
I have 185/70-14 on my 2000 GTV and they fit fine. I've gone as big as 195/65-14 for track events; still no issues.

I have 165-14 Vredesteins on my Super and they're great, though the wider tire will look a little meatier on the GTV, if you want that look. If you want the skinny vintage look, 165-14 is great.

Andrew

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Back in the day, no one thought the 165 x 14's were skinny. - or at least, I didn't.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Vredestein

Hello Forum members,

I had my 1974 GT 1300 Junior Lusso shod on Pirelli 185/70 R14 tires. Great tire but heavy steering. After a conversion to a Rhoddy Harvey-Bailey Handling Kit the car was a lot closer to the ground. I would touch the road on numerous occassions!
So I changed the tires to Vredestein 175 R14. The steering is less heavy and it has much more feel to it, the ride is still very stable! And no more touching the asphalt! (or asfalt?)
I would recommend 175 R14. They do fit without changing anything on camber, caster, etc ......

Ciao, Olaf

·
Premium Member
21,356 Posts
On these kinds of cars, I am a fan of 175 or narrower for the lightness and steering response. I don't care so much about ultimate cornering power, especially on the street.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I just mounted some Vredestein Sprint+ 165R14s on my '73 GTV a few weeks ago and love the look and feel. It had some old Continental All-season 185s on it previously and the steering was very heavy and I was worried about fatiguing the steering mechanism. All in all I'm definitely pleased with the change.

Bill

·
Registered
439 Posts
185/70-HR14 Hi Tracs

I installed Vredestein Hi-Tracs (H rated) in 185/70 and love their feel, and their stickiness. I replaced a set of 165R14 Marshal tires... still have them with about 12k miles on them. Great shape if you're looking for 165R14 tires. I've got them on redone steel wheels, with stainless steel wheel centers.

I'm running 14x6 in alloy rims with the Vredestein Hi-Tracs, as the following images show. I messed up, and mounted the fronts backwards when I shot the photo. Hi-Tracs are directional.

I couldn't recommend another tire for a street Alfa, higher.

Tires are available from a couple sources in the US. Michiel Kramer at Vredestein US and Mike Nixon at Universal Vintage Tire were very helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Where's a good source for the Vredestein Sprint+?

I just mounted some Vredestein Sprint+ 165R14s on my '73 GTV a few weeks ago and love the look and feel. It had some old Continental All-season 185s on it previously and the steering was very heavy and I was worried about fatiguing the steering mechanism. All in all I'm definitely pleased with the change.

Bill
Where's a good source for the Vredestein Sprint+? TireRack.Com, or ? My local tire shop is DK-ing me on this-won't even try to order 'em for me :(

-Any other 165R14 tire worth considering?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
185/70 14s have been the choice here in the UK for years. Originally this was because they go straight on, don't mess up the speedo accuracy (or should that be "accuracy"?) and give a bit more grip. They look more meaty too.

What also helped in the 1990s was that Vauxhall fitted 185/70 14s to the base model Vectra (a inexplicably popular FWD econobox rep-mobile) which meant that the size remained in common use so you could get them anywhere and there was a choice of maker. Unlike the poor old 165 14 which went the way of Noah's Ark.

The situation is probably different in the US as many econo cars ran 14 inch wheels as the default (here it was 13 inch, our cars are smaller!) so 165 14 is probably still in use on something...

Given the choice, I'd go for 185/70, 175/80s will probably look a bit tall.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Peter,
there is a Vredestein dist. in Long Beach. Don't have the name handy, but I believe that someone here on the BB mentioned it. A search should find it !
ps...
I really like the 165-14s on my 1600 S !
Randy

·
Registered
222 Posts
I bought 5 Michelin 165 HR 14 XWX tires from Coker Tire. Original Steel wheels. Nice and skinny. They wern't cheap, though and require inner tubes. I'm not looking to compete with BMW m3s and such, so I'm not too concerned with the grip. I've had all sizes up to 205s throught the years and forgot the original light, loose feel of the car. Fun to get back to the basics sometimes...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have a friend who converted his 1971 spider from 165/14's to 155/15's and LOVES the way it drives.
I believe it! Had I found 15's first, I woulda gone that route. Several outlets have Pirelli Cinturato's in 155-15. Expensive, but...

I bought 5 Michelin 165 HR 14 XWX tires from Coker Tire. Original Steel wheels. Nice and skinny. They wern't cheap, though and require inner tubes. I'm not looking to compete with BMW m3s and such, so I'm not too concerned with the grip. I've had all sizes up to 205s throught the years and forgot the original light, loose feel of the car. Fun to get back to the basics sometimes...
Ditto. I don't drive my car like I was a highschool streetracer anymore. I'm kinda on a budget, though XWX's (and CN36's) were the cool tire when I was a kid- XWX's were original equipment on the Ferrari Daytona...

Peter,
there is a Vredestein dist. in Long Beach. Don't have the name handy, but I believe that someone here on the BB mentioned it. A search should find it...
I'm looking! I may have found a source in my neck of the woods; won't know until Monday.

185/70 14s have been the choice here in the UK for years. Originally this was because they go straight on, don't mess up the speedo accuracy (or should that be "accuracy"?) and give a bit more grip. They look more meaty too.

What also helped in the 1990s was that Vauxhall fitted 185/70 14s to the base model Vectra (a inexplicably popular FWD econobox rep-mobile) which meant that the size remained in common use so you could get them anywhere and there was a choice of maker. Unlike the poor old 165 14 which went the way of Noah's Ark.

The situation is probably different in the US as many econo cars ran 14 inch wheels as the default (here it was 13 inch, our cars are smaller!) so 165 14 is probably still in use on something...

Given the choice, I'd go for 185/70, 175/80s will probably look a bit tall.
I currently run 195/60-14's on 6jx15 Campy's (soon to be for sale...). My goal is to get back to nearly a stock look with skinny 165's. Saw them on 101/105Guy's 1600S, and really love the look. It'll fill out the wheelarches better, and will give me a lower cruising RPM. If I was going to stick with my 6" Campy's I'd go with a 185/70, no question. 196/60's were a mistate on my end IMO- other's experiences may differ!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I don't get you guys with the skinny tires. I tried a set and they were SCARY! It was like driving around on a bunch of marbles. Absolutely not confidence inspiring at all. Didn't stop, howled like a dog when pushed just a little bit. I went to 185/60s and they were far better but still didn't get a real vote of confidence, then tried a set of 185/60 Victorracers on the street. So much better (I can't imagine why even though they were worn out) and currently have a set of Hankook Z212s in a 195/60 and they both look good and stick pretty well. Steering is crisp, with a good feel to it. The side walls are a little flimsy for my taste, but then my idea of correct is only found on R compounds. I just upped the tire pressure to about 40lbs and called it good.

I can see the skinny tires for show only, with the stock wheels but for any real use, no way. Just not enough contact patch with way too much flimsy sidewall.

just my $.02,

Will

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Greetings: My choice for my '67 rebuild was to maintain the original 15" wheels it was delivered on. These are only 4-1/2" wide, which severely limits the tire choices. I had several recommendations for the Vredestein, but I finally went with 165SR15 Michelin XZX from Cooker Tire. At $144 apiece, I made an "investment" choice. My thought is to use the original wheels for show and club events, and use the 14" Turbinas that came on my donor '81 for long-haul use. I snagged as set of 185/60-14 BF Goodrich g-force Sport tires on eBay just after they stopped making the size. I just wish I could find another set for my '91 spider.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Try [email protected]

Robert Montgomery
Lucas Automotive

They quoted me "So shipped to you door, taxes and all the price would be $482.03 for 4 tires."

In reference to Vredestein Sprint Classic in 175 HR 14
Jeff, thanks. Your and Randy's suggestion about the Long Beach Vredestein dealer is the winner, following a morning of calling around: $85/tire, plus mount & balance. Should have my four 165/14 Classic+'s in midweek next week. :)

I don't get you guys with the skinny tires. I tried a set and they were SCARY! It was like driving around on a bunch of marbles. Absolutely not confidence inspiring at all. Didn't stop, howled like a dog when pushed just a little bit. I went to 185/60s and they were far better but still didn't get a real vote of confidence, then tried a set of 185/60 Victorracers on the street. So much better (I can't imagine why even though they were worn out) and currently have a set of Hankook Z212s in a 195/60 and they both look good and stick pretty well. Steering is crisp, with a good feel to it. The side walls are a little flimsy for my taste, but then my idea of correct is only found on R compounds. I just upped the tire pressure to about 40lbs and called it good.

I can see the skinny tires for show only, with the stock wheels but for any real use, no way. Just not enough contact patch with way too much flimsy sidewall.

just my $.02,

Will
Will, to each his/her own :D. All depends on your driving style. I vintage raced a 1900CSS for several years running 165x400's- very tall; not very wide. It was a ball of fun for me, and all part of the charm of driving an older car, IMO.

"I remember when the drivers were fat and the tires were skinny"
-Frolan Gonzales

1 - 20 of 33 Posts