Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1987 AR Spider
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing the red cable from the alternator in my 1987 Spider, I noticed several cracks in the voltage regulator insulation/mount.
My voltage regulator is a Bosch1 197 311 022 and it has a resistance? or "little green sausage" in front of the brushes.
As a replacement, Centerline offers a Bosch 1 197 311 090 regulator but in the photo there is no green gizmo in it.
Please see photos below.
Is this the proper replacement?
What is the green sausage and what does it do?

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
My guess is that it is some sort of noise filter.
If you want to buy the same part number as the original, they were used on many other cars. I am pretty sure Volvo used these and they are available.
You might ask the guys at Centerline the difference. They have been helpful to me in the past

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
You can call Centerline, but I predict that they will simply say "Yup, the part we offer is the right part for your '87 spider". And they'll be right.

There are a million variations on those brush-regulator assemblies. Some made by different vendors, some putting out 14.5V, etc. They all will fit and work OK. The function of the green sausage may be performed by some component that is internal on newer versions, which is why you don't see it in Centerline's photo.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
You can call Centerline, but I predict that they will simply say "Yup, the part we offer is the right part for your '87 spider". And they'll be right.

There are a million variations on those brush-regulator assemblies. Some made by different vendors, some putting out 14.5V, etc. They all will fit and work OK. The function of the green sausage may be performed by some component that is internal on newer versions, which is why you don't see it in Centerline's photo.
Agreed. And never eat a green sausage!

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
From some google searching in the last few minutes. The 022 has the 120 ohm resistor for BMW/Mercedes high amp installations, interesting in your picture that it says 68ohm, 14.5v, 28mm diameter slip rings. the 090 is 14.5v for 32mm slip rings which would be ok in this instance I would think. Out of curiosity I have a 026 on my GTV6, a 14.5v for 28mm slip rings. I recently replaced my 026 with a Transpo IB353 and it has been flawless.
And with more reading, it looks like a Transpo IB373A is an adjustable voltage version that would replace all. I'm thinking that your 022 got put in at some point in it's past because that's all they had available or on hand.

·
Registered
what part?
10,884 Posts
you can get an adjustable one.. same price but better to have in the car

·
Registered
1987 AR Spider
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like always, whenever I need help with the Alfa, a lot of members come to help! Thanks!
I went to a Electromechanical shop and they ordered for me one. It is very similar to mine. I believe is made in Brazil.
We'll see.
I'll report back soon.
Great ideas and advice from members!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts