Alfa Romeo Forums banner

401 - 414 of 414 Posts

·
9,924 Posts
Cinching them down required a certain amount of sensitivity and I may just not have been as aggressive as I needed to.
That makes sense. My experience with brake lines - even with factory-made flares - is that you need to tighten them a little like head nuts: torque them down, come back the next day after the flare has flowed a bit, and torque them again. Sometimes it takes me a few rounds of tightening and waiting to get them to seal.

Obviously Toyota doesn't use my technique on their production line, so I don't know if this makes any sense; maybe just tightening them more the first time would work as well.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
Yeah, the tool I used didn’t make a flare that was exactly like the factory line. I think I needed to tighten the fitting enough to get it to seal against the bottom of the bore. The original Alfa lines were steel but we could not get a good flare on the steel with the tool. New copper is much easier to get good results with.

That makes sense. My experience with brake lines - even with factory-made flares - is that you need to tighten them a little like head nuts: torque them down, come back the next day after the flare has flowed a bit, and torque them again. Sometimes it takes me a few rounds of tightening and waiting to get them to seal.

Obviously Toyota doesn't use my technique on their production line, so I don't know if this makes any sense, or if just tightening them more the first time would work as well.
-tj

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
This is great news.

Copper pipe?, copper alloy I hope as copper is not suitable for a brake line.
Pete

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #405

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Copper nickel is what it probably is. Plain copper work hardens ...
Pete

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
It's been some time since I've posted about Renzo. We had a nice time in Carmel for Car Week and enjoyed showing her on the lawn at Concorso Italiano.

My brake issue has returned. I will likely have to pursue buying and installing the later style master cylinder. I haven't had much energy to worry about it as since my return from Carmel I went to visit my 1900C SS which will be ready to pick up in the next few weeks and so I've been focusing on getting ready for that happy reunion.

Ciao!

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
As I mentioned in my last post, Renzo's brakes started acting up again. I figured I was still fighting air bubbles. I want to get a few things tidied up because the 1900 is supposed to come home next week and I won't have room or time in the shop to work on them once that happens, so today she went up on jackstands. I'm not sure if I'm happy or pissed that the **** master cylinder is leaking internally. Brake fluid is leaking through the piston/seal/bore and dripping out the rubber boot, so that's why the brake pedal was doing its old tricks again.

Thankfully I have the previous MC and since I am pretty sure the root cause was a loose fitting I reinstalled it.

While I'm under the car I've removed the drive shaft to replace the guibo, and pulled the output flange so I can replace the rear flange oil seal which was leaking transmission oil.

I hope to have her all buttoned up tomorrow and will report back on whether or not I was successful.

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

·
Registered
718 Posts
So when are you opening up an Alfa only workshop :grin2::wink2: Brakes a speciality.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
As soon as they figure out how to use bourbon for hydraulic fluid. Man I hate Dot 4 brake fluid like poison. I'd rather bathe in 90W gear oil than have to deal with brake fluid. It's just nasty.

So when are you opening up an Alfa only workshop :grin2::wink2: Brakes a speciality.

-tj

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #411
Turns out that perhaps the 8th or 9th time is a charm.

Following the failure of one of the four brake master cylinders I bought I decided to take the opportunity to tackle a couple things I'd been wanting to take care of. I removed the failed MC, the driveshaft and the transmission output flange. I replaced the output flange seal, the guibo and replaced the MC with another new one I had in the shop that I had assumed was bad, before realizing I had a air leak in one of the fittings.

I put everything back together, bled the brakes, and with some cautious optimism I'll say "hallelujah!" The brake pedal is firm all the time (no pumping up) and the new guibo seems to have quelled the nasty vibration/resonance I'd been experiencing. I haven't driven her on the freeway yet but so far it seems much better. I know there are a couple different styles of guibos and the one that I removed was old, but apparently are known to be too stiff. It was the one with the pressed steel inserts rather than the cast aluminum ones. I sourced the replacement from Centerline.

In any event, but for a few minor items, still the seatbelts and a few other things, Renzo is running well and hopefully will take a back seat to the Super Sprint which is supposed to come home next week.

But for the threat of wildfires this is one of the most pleasant times of years for driving here in the Bay Area, so I'll get out and run 'er a little before the rains come.

Happy Weekend everyone!

-tj in the Cruz Mtn

·
Registered
138 Posts
Firewall Grommets

Hi TJ,

I hope all is well with you and your GTV. I've looked through your entire thread again - some great pictures and amazingly helpful information is in there! The one thing I didn't see was pictures of your engine / engine bay - more specifically (at least in this case) is that I can't seem to figure out what all the firewall grommets look like. Specifically, in the picture I've provided (I've circled the firewall hole in question - in yellow), I'm fairly sure this smaller hole is for long, heater-water line that ultimately routes to the water pump (with an intermediate tee into the rear of the intake manifold) - is this true? Secondly, what does this grommet look like and do you know where to get one of them? I have the upper, heater hose firewall grommet (which is a much bigger hole) - I just can't seem to visualize the lower, smaller hole's grommet.

Thanks in advance!

Chuck

P.S. Any engine bay pictures would be much appreciated as well!

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #414
Chuck,

Apologies for not responding earlier. I didn't see this post until today. ItalCarroz, thank you for stepping in. He's correct in that it's for the return heater hose which has a crook in it. The grommet should be readily available.

-tj

401 - 414 of 414 Posts