Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 414 Posts

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I agree 100%.

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

Your painter is wrong. In fact I believe ALL cars (not just Alfa Romeos but Toyotas, GM, you name it) are painted with the doors, bonnet (hood) and boot (trunk) lid attached.

That does not mean that the inside of such things as doors are not painted earlier in the process, but most definitely the final external paint job is always done with everything bolted on. I've watched TV programs of car factories showing Porsches, Camaros, etc. going through the paint booth ... bonnet, doors and boot lid all attached.

The manufacturers do not care if there is no paint on the bolted surfaces that will never normally be seen, ie. where door hinges bolt to door pillars. Heck Alfa Romeo back in the 70's did not care if there was no paint on the body shell behind the dashboard ...
Pete

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Alfa_corsa,
So your sprayed under seal is white, or blue, in that picture?
It looks to my old eyes like the blue is lumpy/textured under seal, and not the white, which looks nice and smooth.
The black in the diagram shown in post 16 shows where the underspray should be laid. Your painter hasn't reversed it has he?
If your under seal is indeed white, I agree with other posters to overcoat it again with your Cobalt Blue.
Forgive me if it's just my eyesight..and I'll get back in my box.... :-(

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ranz,

Several things contributed to the confusion you're experiencing. First of all, my painter used two kinds of undercoating on the car. One is "rocker shutz" and that's what you see with blue paint over it, and the pebbled texture. I only posted a photo of the blue with the rocker shutz but not a photo of the sections with the "body sealer/sound damper" that is seen in the parts diagram. Here's a photo of that section. Notice that it's not textured like the parts painted blue.

IMG_20180203_210510924 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

So again, this deviates from the original finish that Alfa Romeo applied in the factory, as they didn't use rocker shutz.

Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

Alfa_corsa,
So your sprayed under seal is white, or blue, in that picture?
It looks to my old eyes like the blue is lumpy/textured under seal, and not the white, which looks nice and smooth.
The black in the diagram shown in post 16 shows where the underspray should be laid. Your painter hasn't reversed it has he?
If your under seal is indeed white, I agree with other posters to overcoat it again with your Cobalt Blue.
Forgive me if it's just my eyesight..and I'll get back in my box.... :-(

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
'Bang. Click.'
(That's the lid of the box closing over my head, after I climbed back in.)
Thanks for explaining. :)

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Not at all necessary to climb back in the box! Your question was a completely valid one.

'Bang. Click.'
(That's the lid of the box closing over my head, after I climbed back in.)
Thanks for explaining. :)
Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
such a pretty giulia ... breaks my heart to see that. surprisingly common accident too with the low tail, dim brake lamps and the distracted drivers now in tall suv's

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
such a pretty giulia ... breaks my heart to see that. surprisingly common accident too with the low tail, dim brake lamps and the distracted drivers now in tall suv's
Distracted driver is the issue.

I enjoy driving my 156v6 (was going to say Alfa's, but then realised you guys would laugh at me as the 1750 hasn't been driven for er, a while) but you do have to watch the rear view all the time ... stressful and there is only so much you can do. And I'm sure in this cars case there was nothing that could be done to prevent the distracted driver making contact :( ... but moving on to the positive, she's been fixed (pity it's not the distracted driver though that is being fixed ;))
Pete

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The woman that rear-ended our Giulia was most likely on her phone....there's simply no way she could have been looking through the front window and run in to our car. That she had it in her hand when she exited her car was pretty damning, but sadly despite assurances from law enforcement and our attorney that she could be found guilty of negligence, no such charges ever materialized. Adding insult to injury was the fact that she honestly believed the accident was not her fault.

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I continue to wait for my Giulia to return from the paint shop (it's probably going to be at least 2 more weeks) but as I do I'm getting other things accomplished as well.

Yesterday I dropped off the seats, door panels, dash cap and parcel tray cover at Sid's Upholstery in Mtn. View, for re-upholstering. I've decided that comfort is more important than originality and am having the seats (and door panels) covered in leather. Here in the Bay Area it gets too hot to drive around in a car without AC, and I do not like the sweaty shirt back syndrome. As Giulias could be ordered with leather interior (Bertone Lusso I believe it was called) it's not an anachronism to have Renzo's interior made of the stuff. I've chosen a dark tan color that I believe to be close to the Cinghiale upholstery that Alfa used BITD.

As the door panels that were in the car were repops (the door panels anway, not the rear panels) I am in need of the chrome strips that are "stapled" on. The repop panels have the pieces melded in to the plastic and they're not usable. Has anyone found a source for these pieces?

Also, I bought a reproduction cigarette lighter/ash tray holder (the black plastic piece) but can't figure out how to remove the lighter portion. Has anyone done this job and if so can you explain how to take the lighter apart?

Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Also, I bought a reproduction cigarette lighter/ash tray holder (the black plastic piece) but can't figure out how to remove the lighter portion. Has anyone done this job and if so can you explain how to take the lighter apart?
There is a clip underneath that needs to be removed first. It is for the ground wire. Then the lighter slides straight out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
There is a clip underneath that needs to be removed first. It is for the ground wire. Then the lighter slides straight out.
Thank you! I can tell it’s held in by the clip, just don’t want to break anything removing it.

Ciao!

-TJ in the Cruz Mtns

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I have followed your journey closely..I had the twin to your GTV and went down the same road only an hour before your assault..Can't believe that she wasn't held liable in any event. Also, you will be really pleased with Nick's he's a real artist.
hope to see you back on the road soon
all the best
Chuck

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your kind words. It’s been a long road so far, with lots of work still to be done. I’ll feel better when she’s back in my garage.

TJ

I have followed your journey closely..I had the twin to your GTV and went down the same road only an hour before your assault..Can't believe that she wasn't held liable in any event. Also, you will be really pleased with Nick's he's a real artist.
hope to see you back on the road soon
all the best
Chuck

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm still waiting for the body to get painted but at least my upholstery is coming along. I ended up having the seats and door panels covered in leather for both aesthetic and comfort reasons. Here in the Bay Area it simply gets too hot to drive a vinyl seated car without air conditioning. My only gripe about the car previous to the accident was the soaking wet lower back of my shirt every time I drove the car. These seats have an embossed section in the middle which mimics the basketweave of "Alfatex" and are covered to resemble the original seat covers. The leather on the seats still needs to be worked a bit as there are a few puckers and tight spots that need attention, but so far they look very nice. Work done by Sid's Upholstery in Mountain View.

IMG_8231 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

IMG_8230 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

IMG_8232 by gearheadexchange, on Flickr

Ciao!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thank you! I’d love to see an original leather Giulia interior. I’m just winging it with regard to how I think it should look.

Love the leather!
-tj in the Cruz Mtns

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Does anyone on the Left Coast (San Francisco Bay Area-esque) have a good driveline repair shop they can recommend. There used to be one in San Jose but I believe they're long gone. Some have opined that the best practice is to just buy a complete new rear half of the drive shaft but it's hard for me to believe there aren't options for having the u-joints replaced.

-tj in the Cruz Mtns

·
Registered
987 Posts
My heart goes out to you. So many issues going on with just one car would be difficult for anyone, but with the many 'issues' on a few cars, being so blah,, well.... I'm almost at a loss for words. You seem to be handling it in an upbeat manner.
On another positive note, I love 😍 your seats. They look fantastic and I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.
Awesome!!! 😃😃😃

21 - 40 of 414 Posts