Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a similar story in New Members thread. I am seeking a driver's side Vitaloni electric mirror for my ex-wife's '89 Spider.

Yesterday, after we had put it in the basenment garage for the winter ( battery tender, Stabl in the tank, car cover) I broke the drfiver's side mirror clean off. It's hanging by the wires.

I broke the black plastic at the base to the point where no glue will fix it.

I bought the car for her and her purse in 1995. She got it in the divorce. She has kept it in pristine concourse condition the whole time.

I have spent all day and night searching parts outlets. The part appears to be unobtainium, but hopefully someone here has one.

She has not noticed it yet, but when she does all hell will break loose. I figured I would try to find a replacement part before I confess and incur the wrath of a very mad woman.

Thanks,

Ken

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Try Alfa Parts Exchange. Pretty sure they will have one. I doubt it will be in pristine condition, but will give you something to work with.

Good luck,

Vin

Reactions: kghjr

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
yes, the frame tends to snap at the base joint.
It probably was already cracked and you just brushed against it and it fell off......(well, that's what excuse I'd have ready, if she finds out!)

If you can get one as Vin suggests, just make sure that the plastic where it joins the base is good and solid.

mirror.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try Alfa Parts Exchange. Pretty sure they will have one. I doubt it will be in pristine condition, but will give you something to work with.

Good luck,

Vin
I called him. He's on his way to Texas to pick up some cars to be back Tuesday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, the frame tends to snap at the base joint.
It probably was already cracked and you just brushed against it and it fell off......(well, that's what excuse I'd have ready, if she finds out!)

If you can get one as Vin suggests, just make sure that the plastic where it joins the base is good and solid.

View attachment 1654635
I'm accident prone with all things fragile. I was trying to fold it back and just broke it. It's folded back now, except it's hanging by the wires...not functional and unsightly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have access to a schematic of these mirrors? I'm wondering if the black plastic surround can be separated from the mirror assembly or is it all one piece? It sure would be nice to keep the painted part. Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Found one in excellent condition at Alfa Parts Exchange. Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took the part to a body shop, recommended by my mechanic. Coincidentally the body shop had been taking care of a local Alfa Spider, very familiar with the car. They could not finish it before I left Carlisle to go home to Denver. I didn't tell the ex about it until the piece was finished and ready to be picked up and that way, when she went in, the guy could asure her of a competent installation in the spring. Worked like a charm, she was **** near gleeful about the whole thing.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts