Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went up to Reno for Autocross today and the darn passenger visor, which already suffers from a broken center hinge, was hanging down and and making me nuts :frown2:.

Following a few minutes of head-scratching, I came up with this fix. Busted visor sufferers can thank me later.:grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Necessity is the mother of invention....

While the purists will undoubtedly rise objecting and seeking a sacrifice of body and soul I congratulate you on your ingenuity. I have the same problem with my Spider and haven’t had the opportunity to try a number of the ‘solutions’ found on this forum and found in the Spider Facebook group. Nonetheless I will be looking for a more subtle solution in the near future.

Best regards.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
A friend kept popsicle sticks on his sun visors with clothes pins. When I asked why? He just flipped the sun visor up, and placed the stick against the windshield, with the clothes pin holding the other end on the sun visor.

I don't remember how he set this up with the top down.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Been there, done that for my previous '71, but I used silver duct tape for a more industrial appearance before I finally just removed the sun visors for that car and the current '76 Spider. Now I have a droopy sun visor on the '91 S4 Veloce with the lighted mirror in the passenger sun visor and different style hinge pins. Has anyone found a solution for droopy S4 sun visors?

Went up to Reno for Autocross today and the darn passenger visor, which already suffers from a broken center hinge, was hanging down and and making me nuts :frown2:.

Following a few minutes of head-scratching, I came up with this fix. Busted visor sufferers can thank me later.:grin2:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Windshield tint strip and wink wide angle mirror did it for me.

I don't need no stinking visors!!

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Visor removed

Heading for “driving experience” at Thunderhill in Willows, CA on Saturday (no roll cage needed, just installed hardtop) and decided I have had it fussing with my passenger visor and went all Yosemite Sam on it.

Hate to take a razor knife to Alfa parts, but this visor will be heading for a shoebox in my garage (unless anyone wants a butchered visor for shipping $) but did and here are autopsy photos (not for the squeamish).

Also, I have added a tinted insert to the top of my windshield which works better than may appear in the photo.

Also, also I have a new hinge pin, recently delivered from Jolly Old, available for cost of shipping.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
I use a clothes pin.

Reactions: Stevew

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I've had my 67 Spider 49 years ...no droop. Near as I can figure it was the only year that metal hinge pins were used. You can tighten until you can't move the visor. The later plastic doesn't bite as well. I see Classicalfa and others list metal hinges.
Cheers, Jon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts