Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are in Los Angeles and love old time drag racing...

Check out the NHRA Hot Rod Museum. It has about 35 cars and tons of photos and exhibits. It cost my son and I $8 each because I'm a AAA club member. It was $11 otherwise, if I remember correctly.

If you go to the Winternational Drag Race event in Pomona, the Museum is only a couple of blocks from the track.

Awsome cars, and great air conditioning! there were 4 George Barris Kustom Kars on display as well, you know, the led sled variety. But for my money, you can't beat this:

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
I can vouch for it. This year's Automotive Book Swap Meet was held juts outside the museum. I didn't even know it existed but I went in and had a look. I don't know squat about dragsters or hot rods but this must be the world's preeminent collection. They had lots of record-holding and milestone dragsters plus videos to watch etc.

Doug Bender

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I was a kid, I'd read Hot Rod magazine. Some feature cars from that magazine are shown in the museum.

Awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
...Some feature cars from that magazine are shown in the museum.

Awesome!
Awesome, indeed! I remember the Challenger I and the 4wd dragster powered by four Buick nail-heads.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Mickey Thompson 'Challenger I' was rebuilt/restored and toured around the US by, my ex-uncle, Jim Travis and his son a few years ago.

The museum has a sharing agreement of some kind with the Peterson Museum and they rotate a few cars around at least twice a year.

Here are a couple of close ups around the 4 engine monster. Sit in that ****pit and try and stay cool. It is not possible!

What must it have sounded like up close and personal?

I love the sophisticated steering arrangement.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
I saw a lot of those cars race. Stone, Woods and Cook, KS Pittman, Tommy Ivo's four engine dragster, Don Prudhomme, Garlits, and many more.
Great photos.
Thanks for the memories.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Those multiple engine cars rock. Another cool place is Big Daddy's place in Ocala, Fla.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts