Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steve, we trust you are ok and didn't have any damage from the earthquake.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,597 Posts
We are OK but

Steve, we trust you are ok and didn't have any damage from the earthquake.
I was outside at the time and didn't even feel it. It does appear some buildings near epicenter did receive damage and maybe Washington Monument and Washington Cathedral has damage, too.

It sure scared lot of people in office buildings up and down the mid atlantic states.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
A relief to hear you're OK, I saw the news and thought, I know who lives there.

5.8 is a similar size to some of the bigger aftershocks in Christchurch I've been in - it can polish off an already-weakened building but I'm guessing that earthquakes are not a common event there. Hope everyone is not too mentally shaken by it.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,597 Posts
You are right not the norm here on right coast. I have been through tremors in Japan and left coast CA many times so I know what one feels like.

Sure scared bunches of people here who were in buildings, etc. I was outside visiting with Alfa friend when it hit so until my daughter texted me explaining why cell phone circuits went into overload while we were working through a school book store and debit card issue I didn't have a clue. My friend's cell dropped a call from his daughter also at same time.

To many folks panicking sent cell phone service into melt down. Point to remember in real emergency.

·
Registered
184 Posts
To many folks panicking sent cell phone service into melt down. Point to remember in real emergency.
Just in case and as I have been told by IT friends:
RIM (Research in Motion) "BlackBerry Messenger" IFIRC, Uses a separarte system rather than cell towers which can be damaged or clogged during an emergency.

This was one source of the organizational instruments enabling communication in London for example. Additionally, Blackberry use in Washington DC is the highest per capita possibly attributed to this capacity?

Best regards to those where were affected by this event.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,597 Posts
Hurricane Irene is our next Drama Queen

Spent better part of the day in Proactive response to Spoil your Dream Queen Irene. We got ground level loose gear stowed. Friday we install storm shutters and raise stuff off ground floor in daughter's lower level apartment.

Advised our weekly renter from PA leaving a day early might be in their best interest for two reasons wind and rain Saturday morning will play hell with their drive home and Irene's path close to PA and NY later in weekend means they need to secure their home base, too.

No long term warning on earthquakes but we have good lead time on hurricanes.

I have lived through major ones in FL,TX and VA over the years and you need to pay attention believe me.

Stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
16,740 Posts
And you live there because...

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,597 Posts
And you live there because...
Home is home and no drama makes for a dull existence. Twisty roads and good wineries also a plus.

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
I'll buy the twisty roads and good wineries for sure. For me the weather was too much to take. As for drama, we do get the occasional small earthquakes here, as you probably have read, lol. The last one was a measly 7 or so, just 35 times more energy than yours.

Understand the "home is home" completely. Travel the world but love to come back.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW Steve, We have a spare bedroom if you need to get far away from Irene...not looking good.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,597 Posts
Looking like we may take a roadtrip once we have the beach house shuttered and go to fellow Alfisti's hill top manor 300 miles west to Blacksburg, VA. Daughter and I can drive two 164s - Originale and Black Beauty, and leave the truck and rest of Alfas behind. Mary Lee already helping her mom upstate with doctor appointment travel today.

Storm track: http://www.stormpulse.com/

Looks like Irene will be off VB coast 2 a.m. Sunday and then Northeast folks better be aware of storm coming their way.

·
Premium Member
16,740 Posts
Take care, please.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,597 Posts
On the way home we stopped in Culpepper, VA to see the earthquake damaged building that they razed into street and had blocked our way up on Friday and road still closed today.

I read in local paper on line that the Deli Owner next door pretty upset as his business is damaged, too.

I didn't stop to take a pix but in nearby Mineral, VA where quake actually happened, they had a store front completely shored up with framing and wood bracing to keep it from falling into street, too.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts