Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
Checking already tyre profile for my 68Mk1 i bought-unfinished project and car not at home yet. My wish is to find S shape tyre profile like Dunlop sport CR65 on photo but i think those are not road legal.Any ideas,tyre manufacturer and model? Alu rims are MELBER 14",max tyre width 185mm.
Franjo

Attachments

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Franjo, Blockley tyres in the UK are selling modern tires in the old Dunlop style tread pattern. Dougal at Longstone in the UK also sells Pirelli CN36s in a similar pattern. If you want to maintain the classic Alfa visual appearance, it is important that you maintain the Alfa designed tire height of 24.5 (plus/minus). The stock Alfa tire sizes in period were 155x15, followed by 165x14 and 185x70x14. All of these are within the 24.5 and-a-bit "golden mean" tire height. People often fittend wider 195x60x15s or 185x65x15s as alternative. 205x60x14's were also fitted. Whatever tire you choose, just keep within the height measurement and you'll be ok. ALso keep in mind that the wider you go with tire width the more your steering effort increases. Some people have experienced broken steering boxes as a result.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
You want dougal....

He’s bound to know everything about the tyre in question, when a nd where it is made and why you should get the pirelli or Michelin instead :grin2:

I’m just playing, he knows his stuff.. hope he chimes in

·
Registered
104 Posts
One observation is they look awesome on a mrk1 with the aggressive front end. I wonder how they might look on a a later smooth nose (mine is a 1973 junior being restored). Looked on the web but can’t find.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't know how much this helps but pic below of my car fitted 185/70 x 14 Dunlop sports on Melber 14x6 rims. Lowered suspension with handling kit.

Hope you have the correct centre caps because I couldn't find any aftermarket to fit the front. Old ones responded well to a cleanup and respray in wheel silver and lacquer.

I think there are more recent photos in the 'what wheels suit ….' thread

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have you had a look at:
Avon CR6ZZ
CR6ZZ | Avon Motorsport

The ones on the red and yellow car look like:
Dunlop CR65
https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/vintage-tyres/dunlop-racing/14/550m14-cr65-dunlop-racing.html

I don't think they are road legal, but Dougal would confirm.

Personally I would go with the Pirelli CN36. It looks just right.

Incidentally I have been running 195/70/14 Goodyears on a lowered 1750 mark 1 and have had no clearance issues. That's on 6 x 14" GTA replicas. I love the deep sidewall balloon look!

·
Registered
841 Posts
...web photo-fantastic tyre.
Franjo, they are an old Dunlop Racing CR65 tyre with that pattern, they are still available (see Longstone's website, but are more than £200 each for a 15").
They don't show any available in 14", and of course they are crossply, and for track use only.

Most Alfa 105 racers in the UK now use Avon CR6ZZ, which have a very similar look, but they're still upwards of £200 for a 185 x 70 x 14"

Steve

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
... The stock Alfa tire sizes in period were 155x15, followed by 165x14 and 185x70x14... Also keep in mind that the wider you go with tire width the more your steering effort increases. Some people have experienced broken steering boxes as a result.
185/70R14 was never fitted by the factory on GTVs. It appeared on the Alfetta GT and later on Spiders around 1980. 1750 and 2000 GTVs were delivered with either Pirelli CN54, Michelin XAs, or some horrendous British Good Year G800.

70 series was a popular fitment once they appeared on the market in the mid 70s, and became ubiquitous on Alfas once the 165(/82)R14 disappeared from the North American market in the 80s.

As you state, wider tires make the steering heavier. A friend kept 165R14 Pirelli P3s on his GTV for ages, up until they were about to fall apart, shortly before I bought the car from him in 2008. Last time I drove it with the Pirellis, the difference in feeling with my 185/70 shod GTV was impressive. To this day I am debating about splurging for a set of new 165R14 XAs.

But I do not consider wider tires as the main reason for cracked Burman boxes. When I took the front end of this car apart during restoration, I found cracks in the steering box. It had only been driven a few hundred kms on 185/70 tires, has never been raced, never hit... Burman boxes are a hazard due to a flawed design. Increasing steering effort certainly doesn't help!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts