Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two vintage rally odometers:

One NOS Kanto Seiki single counter odometer; ca. 1970. Very compact body, includes cable and bracket but no drive adapter. These were apparently used by the Datsun factory team in the Eastern Safari. It does not have any internal provisions for calibration; a Halda is more practical for vintage rallying.

One Halda Twinmaster metal case twin odometer, also ca. 1970. In good working, original condition. The display selector shaft was snapped by somebody knee, as is often the case, and I installed a new shaft - hence the new knob. Includes one X and one Z gear; no extra parts or accessories included, although I have a V11 T gear (50-60s US cars) available if you're setting a Stude for the Panamericana or a Rambler for a Shell 4000 revival.

Open to offers on either.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
These were set by using a measured mile or distance from the start. When you arrived at the checkpoint for your speedometer check, you took the difference between the two and came up with a "handicap" difference. This was then fed into all of your calculations. In my case I used a Stevens Rally Circular calculator that once the difference was set, then you just read off the scale your time, speed or distance. I also used a set of Stevens Rally tables that helped figure out this information. (in a box somewhere in my garage)

Also you need a tri set of Halda watches so keep your time set to WWV standards. Somewhere in the back of my pump house I have a box of trophies I collected when I was actively rallying. I just saw a set for sale at one of the big auction houses with a reserve of about $2000.

A Halda Twinmaster is like getting the best of the bunch. There were a few rally calculators out there, one was my by a Capt. Cook that had a set of lights that told you if you were going to slow or to fast once you dialed in the information.

Some used a Curta Calaculator or "coffee grinder" that would give you a read out. These units sell in the thousands if you can find a good one. These are prized by collectors.

I keep hoping someone will donate me a set of rally tools...twinmaster, watches and a coffee grinder. Then I can set them up in my Super. How cool would that look! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts