Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I am wondering if anyone can help with data relating to vintage battery and/or battery tray. I am restoring an early 101 spider. I have replacement battery tray which appears not to fit. Before modifying I would like evidence of what the original trays looked like and how they were mounted. In addition I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a "vintage" looking battery.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
chuck

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Chuck,

I have a 1963 Giulia Spider Normale. Because it was a barn find and mostly all original, I decided to get a period battery from Antique Auto Battery. Then I put the Magneti Marelli sticker on it. ( Some won't like that)
IMG_0390.jpg

There is a couple of reasons I ordered this battery, first is because the original Cavis battery cables still had the original terminals on them which were designed to fit a battery with posts that were quite a bit smaller than the batteries we have today. (about 1/2" Diameter) Antique Auto Battery was able to make a battery with the correct size posts for me so I could keep & use the original terminals. Second, I had all the original rubber pieces which fit in the battery tray and go on top of the battery plus the metal battery hold down and bolts. I couldn't seem to find any new batteries that would physically fit in all the original mountings. The battery they made me is more like the size of 6v antique auto battery but of course it's 12v. It fits perfectly.

Now the bad - It's an old fashioned lead acid battery which gives off fumes and can leak. I remedied this problem by purchasing a special battery mat that goes under the battery and is supposed to neutralize any leakage. But there has been some problems with this battery holding it's charge. I'm not sure why yet but the battery may have to be replaced which Antique Auto Battery seems willing to do when I'm ready.

If I wasn't trying to keep it all original, I would buy one of those new completely sealed batteries which can't leak & probably have more cranking amps than I have.

Larry McKeough

1 - 2 of 2 Posts