Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Oreilley's alternator

Update on install. Friday was a hot humid day here about 90 degrees. Driving the car with ac on low and vents pointed away from me, I was very cool, if not cold. No rattles or squeaks from the install. The alternator died last week when I was charging the system. I had an 85 amp alternator for another project I bought 5 yrs ago so I installed it. Dud. Found another 65 amp unit at oreilley's auto parts in stock, $72 plus tax. Listed a 3.0 Milano alternator also but didn't know when he could get it. A bird in the hand.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Long term update on vintage air mod: still working very well, only once had to change fan speed from low to medium speed. Have not had to top up r-134 since install. Main complaint is I wish low speed was a little lower as it pumps out a lot of cold air. One issue that I have related to that is the temp control dial is stuck on full cold. I need to replace before next summer. Overall extremely happy with the performance and can use the the car all summer in south Texas comfortably. With a Milano engine cooling fan I have had zero cooling problems, even in Houston traffic

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for starting & updating this thread. Was thinking of same idea with the self contained VA unit. This thread has lots of good content on fabrication. Nice work!

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks! I was tired of trying to make alfetta based a/c’s work ( 1976 alfetta gtv, 1985 gtv6 and now my 81 ). I lost windshield defogger function but seldom drive it in cruddy weather.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I am about halfway through the install of a vintage air ac/heat underdash system in my 81 gtv6. I am in Houston, Texas and the car is miserable to drive in the summer ( about 9 months here). I have ridden in a couple of gtv6s with the vintage air mini gen installed and they were nice neat jobs and worked well, so naturally I couldn't do that. I wanted to change up the interior a bit and liked the va heritage unit available in ac and heat. Don't need the defrost since I don't drive it crappy weather. After removing the old ac/heat unit I made up heavy brackets to bolt to factory ac mounting studs on firewall. A filler panel will fit between dash and ac, also the stock radio binnacle will be slightly modified and covered with black vinyl. I installed a larger 14x23 condenser with a 12" pusher fan. Stock radiator with Milano fan. As a plus I will be mounting a couple of 3 1/2" speakers in the defrost outlets in the dashtop',
Do you remember the part number of your VA condenser? I am getting ready to upgrade my 1983 GTV6 which I am the original owner. Plan to the replace the compressor, dryer and condenser. Will leave the evaporator in place for the time being. Terry

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Actually the condenser was from ebay, 14 x 23. Works fine. Used the car and a/c today, high 70’s and foggy/high humidity. still works great and haven’t touched the a/c in 2 years

21 - 26 of 26 Posts