Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about halfway through the install of a vintage air ac/heat underdash system in my 81 gtv6. I am in Houston, Texas and the car is miserable to drive in the summer ( about 9 months here). I have ridden in a couple of gtv6s with the vintage air mini gen installed and they were nice neat jobs and worked well, so naturally I couldn't do that. I wanted to change up the interior a bit and liked the va heritage unit available in ac and heat. Don't need the defrost since I don't drive it crappy weather. After removing the old ac/heat unit I made up heavy brackets to bolt to factory ac mounting studs on firewall. A filler panel will fit between dash and ac, also the stock radio binnacle will be slightly modified and covered with black vinyl. I installed a larger 14x23 condenser with a 12" pusher fan. Stock radiator with Milano fan. As a plus I will be mounting a couple of 3 1/2" speakers in the defrost outlets in the dashtop',

Attachments

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
That's going to look good in there, once you get it trimmed out like you want. The unit vents will look fine also with the eyeball vents on each end of the dash. You bought the same condenser we got for our son's '86 with Tropic Air, and it really helped the system put out to its maximum. We considered the Mini Gen also, with AC only, hung under the dash on the right, but in the end all the original Tropic Air components checked out, and we decided to work with what we had. It works very well here in KY summers, and was ok also when my son had it out in Kansas City last summer, although he said it was definitely working harder out there.

Did you change over to the rotary Sanden compressor also? And I assume you have a new receiver/drier. Vintage Air was a good outfit to work with, and their catalog is very informative. I hope the pusher fan gets enough airflow through that condenser when you're stopped in traffic, although I assume the OEM fan on the other side will kick in when the compressor runs.

Keep coming with the photos as you make progress! Thanks...

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using the sanden compressor and all hoses, driers and switches are new. I had no trouble with engine cooling last summer while trying to get the original ac to work respectfully. The Milano fan I installed pulls way more air through the radiator than the stock fans ever could

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since the ac is out it makes installing a dash cap easier. The dash mat I had fit very well and looked good but I knew it pretty nasty under. Test fit was quite good after I dremeled down all the cracked plastic " puckers". I will heed to paint it a satin black, along with the glovebox door along with any trim pieces I need to make. The as molded cap's color is a bit off. Also is a photo of the ac bracket mounted to the firewall. Also if anyone is going to do more than couple of hoses, especially if you not sure of the configuration till the last minute, these hose crimpers work great. Mine is by mastercool and is the 2nd time I've used it. 1st time used on my berlina's ac and worked fine

Attachments

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally after getting sidetracked painting the exterior of my house and shop, brick and all, I've finally started again on the red car. I installed the dash cap after painting it with flat black vinyl paint. I trimmed the lip that would have butted against the glove box door hinge but otherwise, no mods. I installed a couple of 3 1/2" speakers in the defrost vent locations. The vintage air unit was re-installed using previously fabricated mounts, wired up and plumbed. Only need evaporator to dryer hose and all lines will in. Only issue is VA use 5/8" heater hose vs 1/2" on the gtv6, doesn't sound like much but it is very crowded real estate as all hoses are in the same area and the electronic heater control valve is very bulky. As soon as I get a bracket from Jim for dryer bottle I can make the last hose and start pulling a vacuum and checking for leaks. Still have to finish fan relay wiring

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
I like what I am seeing here! I hope you get this done soon the weather is getting warm here in the northeast, so I know its hot there. I would really like to know how well it does in the hot Texas area. I figure if it works well and the car doesn't have an issue with overheating you are golden!
I'm guessing a few others have already gone down this path, I have kept mine original, well mostly. I got rid of the York piston unit, and got the rotary style unit. I haven't filled the system yet (Have to do a repair to the fuse panel)

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I should have it charged in a couple of days then I just have to finish the trim panel that fits between the a/c and dash and fabricate a new lower front housing for the radio

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
That VA looks great sitting there! But hey is it crowded in back of there, right? Kudos for making everything fit like you did. I just hope you don't regret giving up the top of dash defroster vents, but then if you maintain the A/C on constantly, you shouldn't have problems keeping the windshield clear.

Quite a conversion...

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While I am waiting for the last ac fitting I need, i mocked up the radio pod and the passenger under dash shelf. Radio pod needs a little dabbing but just need to make a small bracket for the shelf, fit right in. Also wrapped the metal filler panel with black vinyl to fill the hole over the a/c in the bottom of the dash. Should have the last hose made up and be able to pull a vacuum by this after noon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
IMG_2804.jpg
Got the Vintage Air in GiGi, way better, but the GTV-6 is a hot box!
My setup, you can see the unit on the right. had to cut a corner out of the glove box to fit it. different controls middle silver, plumbed the air to the original setup.
It way cooler and the defroster works way better on rainy days.
Put an Alfetta dash in her, like the tack in the middle, don't care how fast I'm going.
I'm an Italian Driver.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks good, similar to mini gen 2 equipped gtv6 I rode in, was impressed even in hot Austin area where I was visiting. Don't need defrost too much here, usually when there is a lot of rain and I don't drive the car then. Finally was able to start to pull a vacuum and naturally, large leak. Turned an o rang had fallen out during attachment behind evap unit and I missed it. Pain to get to but an easy fix. Looks good now and if it keeps its vacuum overnight , I will charge it tomorrow. Firewall pic of 2 circuit breakers, 1 for a/c and 1 for aux fan, plus relay for fan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
COLD A/C !!

Vacuum held overnight so I charged the a/c with 24oz of r134 as per vintage air's instructions. Talk about cold air! Even at low speed it was as cold as any car I've been with at idle. That's the good. Now the bad. One of the hi pressure hoses failed at the crimp so I'll have to make a new hose. I guess it held until the real pressure hit it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was at pep boys and found a radio enclosure that looks like it will work well. The vintage air evaporator had 2 reinforcing or stiffening ribs along the bottom that were exactly the spacing between the inner walls of the radio box and with a couple of screws mounts perfect, after some trimming in back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Replaced defective hose and all is well. Before reinstalling front bumper, I painted the back part of the aluminum. The bumper mounts were collapsed before I acquired the car so I discarded the top plastic that didn't fit well anyway, sanded, primed with self etching primer and sprayed in black. I think it turned out well. Did a first test drive and although it is only in the low 80's today I had to turn the ac to its lowest setting. I was freezing! Helpfully when it's near 100 with 90% humidity I can say the same thing, but so far so good

Attachments

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to modify a spare console rather then a bolt in filler panel. This one is close to painting. I use a bedliner spray, then regular plastic paint. Small panel will house another 12v socket and a USB port

Attachments

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Coated and painted with accessory panel loosely installed. The bedliner spray gives texture and helps blend it all together

Attachments

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Basically finished now. I need a short antenna extentension for the stereo but everything is wired and working. Would I do it again? Absolutely! I think it looks good and the ac blows lots of cold air. The new speakers in the dash sound good and I am overall very pleased with the results. That said if I were to do it again I would mount the evaporator a little more into cabin space. That would have given more room for plumbing and the console would have been easier.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Sure looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Hats off to you! That is one sanitary, sharp looking installation! Send some photos to Vintage Air... they might publish them in their gallery.

I can imagine how well it cools and heats, too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts