Alfa Romeo Forums banner

VIN #'s

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  avidtest 
#1 · (Edited)
My new (to me) Giulia Super just arrived at the port of Long Beach today, from Europe (finally!). I have some concerns about titling and registering it in California. From what I can tell, it seems the state now requires two identifiable VIN #'s. Specifically, form REG 31 says:

"Section 6—Secondary Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)—the secondary VIN section was removed. 1970 and newer model year vehicles (except OHVs) must have two points of verification. The U.S. Federal Certification Label is the only acceptable secondary point of verification for 1970 and newer vehicles and serves two purposes: —As a secondary verification of the public VIN."

I can't figure out what the U.S. Federal Certification Label should look like, or even if these little cars ever had them. Can anyone confirm?

My car has the stamped VIN of course, but the only other original plate/tag does not have the VIN on it. It was removed by the previous owner when the car was painted. Would this possibly suffice if I rivet it back on?

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for confirming. The importer is fairly sure the docs they'll provide for me will be sufficient, but is not 100% sure due to the more recent two forms of VIN ID I mentioned. I have an appointment with the DMV the week after next. We'll see what they say. I may check in with the CHP first to see what they have to say.

#6 ·
Well, as it turns out, the US Federal Certification Label is indeed a required identifier in California now. The DMV took my considerable registration payment and sent me outside to complete the "quick inspection". Immediately failed and was provided a form to take to the CHP so that they could perform their own inspection, which is done on an appointment only basis. I'm guessing it's more safety related and also to help insure the car and parts are listed as stolen. I'm not sure though, because the day before my appointment was scheduled, I received an email from the CHP stating that they will be declining all appointments due to Covid-19 until further notice.

My temporary registration is good till the end of the month. After that, I'll be ridin' dirty. Bummer. Small taters compared to what the world is facing however. So now, I hurry up and wait.

#7 ·
Read up on bringing in a car over [25 or whatever the proper number] years old is. Tons of folks do it. A friend brought in a 1900 Matta, 1951, and has it registered on Calif plates, no problem. It does take jumping through hoops with Custom, DOT, DMV but it can be done.
The only Giulias sold in the US were Giulia TI and Giulia Super, ending 1967. Both were before Federal Certification plates even existed; all they had were the VIN on the firewall and the Made in Italy sticker on the door jamb. Riveted-on VIN plates didn't start in the US til 1969 with the first 1750 Spica cars.
Andrew

#8 ·
This new law was enacted roughly two years ago. The sticking point is 1970 and newer, "The U.S. Federal Certification Label is the only acceptable secondary point of verification for 1970 and newer".

Prior to this law change, it was a non-issue. I do believe I will be able to resolve it - it's just a matter of when.

There is always an out of state title and reg option, but I'd prefer to be 100% legit (even though it costs substantially more).

#9 ·
So, yes, they point you to CHP for the VIN verification. Make sure you have it in at least two places.

The bigger issue is that your car is a 1970 model. With the new legislation, you very likely might find it very difficult to get the car registered in CA as you brought it in as a direct import. Direct imports are cars that come to CA directly from abroad. For those, the DMV does no longer register them if you cannot proof that they confirm to the then legal DOT/ EPA requirements. And you will not be able to do that for your car. Only cars built on or before 1967 are exempt (For direct imports).

The way around this is that you indeed can register a car in CA for any car that was built on or before 1975 if it already carries a title or registration from another US State. This is how most people deal with this situation; Buy a car in Europe, ship it to Montana or Vermont, have it registered there and then, with US title/ registration in hand, you can go to the DMV. If I were you, I would look into this option.

The DMV is not super consistent with all of this, except that it gets increasingly more difficult for post 1967 direct imports. So you might get lucky after the CHP verification. But maybe good to plan for all outcomes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.