Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into a '73 Spider on eBay and asked the seller if it had the original engine. Part of his reply stated that there was no such thing as a matching numbers Alfa from the 60's and early 70's because Alfa did not put VIN numbers on the engine. Is the true? Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Correct.

Alfa didn't record the engines serial number against the VIN or chassis number, only the type (engine and model). There are 'lists' which will give you an idea of which range of engine serial numbers should match a particular model and year but they're not from Alfa as I understand it.

·
Premium Member
21,671 Posts
I agree. Those of us who track particular models (Berlinas, Giulia sedans) have lists that can show engine number ranges. But in the post-Giulietta world, Alfa didn't track or list them. The engines came off a pile and went into a car. For cars with a common engine (US 2000 GTV, Spider, Berlina) the engine numbers are all in the same range and you might have consecutive engines in two different bodies.

In many cases the original engine number is written on the original bill of sale from the dealer to buyer, but not many of those have survived.

Andrew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts