Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello! i need some help and i think this is the place to fine it!! i just bought a alfa romeo 1977. we have look it over from top to bottem and the only numbers we can find on it are ar*[star]3051001*[star] when i try to look it up i can not find anything on it because all "vin numbers" are 17 numbers. dose anyone out there know what to do?????? any help would be great!!!! thanks for your time!!! cindie

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Vin numbers started in the 80's as a international way of identification of where cars are made. You Alfa has a serial number. A VIN number tells who the manufacturer is, country of origin, model number, trim code and serial number. This link will help explain. VIN INFO

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
The best thing to do is writing an e-mail to [email protected] and they will tell you when the car was produced and sold and usually also what color it was when it left the factory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you all sooooooooooo much for your help!!!!!!!!!!! and i was right this is the place to get the BEST help!!! thakns again!!! cindie

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Spider Veloce USA

hello! i need some help and i think this is the place to fine it!! i just bought a alfa romeo 1977. we have look it over from top to bottem and the only numbers we can find on it are ar*[star]3051001*[star] when i try to look it up i can not find anything on it because all "vin numbers" are 17 numbers. dose anyone out there know what to do?????? any help would be great!!!! thanks for your time!!! cindie
Hello tcdelozier,

According to the ' Guida all'identificazione Alfa Romeo', written by Maurizio Tabucchi and published in 2000 by Giorgio Nada editore, we are talking about a 1976 (type 115.02) 2000 Spider Veloce iniezione USA. Chassisnumbers for this type ran from AR*3048901 to AR*3051363 in 1976.
Let's see what Marco Fazio says about this car.

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hello! thank you so much for getting back to me. i'm not sure what all of it means.but you help is very good and very needed!!!!! anything eles you can find out would help me out alot!!!! as you can tell i am a very new comer to the alfa romeos. this car also has factory headers and dual weber with a 5 speed atans. and oil pan is twice the size of the motor. thank you once agai for ALL your help and time. cindie

·
Registered
9,470 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,920 Posts
As others have explained, 17 digit VIN's were introduced after 1977. So you car has a serial number (e.g. 3051001) but no VIN.

If you want to look up the car's accident history on a site like Carfax, I think you're just out of luck. I don't think those databases include cars built in the pre-VIN era like your 1977.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts