Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just wanted to introduce myself as I am a new member from Norway. Bought this lovely Spider Veloce a couple of months ago.
There is only on mystery with this car. It was sold as new in Switzerland in July 1986, and according to this it is a 1986 model. I doubt if this is the case.
The VIN number is ZAR11538002490565. According to info I came across, 115.38 indicates that it was produced from 1975-82.
The engine has two double Solex carburettors and no injecton.
Can someone in this forum pls. help me solve this mystery?
Thx.

·
Registered
585 Posts
From the pictures, I would guess that it is NOt an 86. In 86, the side marker lights are in the front bumper, they didn't have covered headlights, and the dash is a mono-pod. More pictures would help. In 86, they had the rear spoiler, in black, and the rear side lights were also in the spoiler side.

·
Registered
94 Posts
(..) In 86, the side marker lights are (..)
No such thing as "side marker lights" on european spiders. The side indicator is in the correct position for a '86, though.

Rubber rear spoiler is correct. (I don't think anyone in their right mind would retrofit that, nor the series 3 front bumper!)

The car seems to have been subject to some "customization" - bumpers are painted and headlights mounted from inside the fenders to make room for Carello covers.

I also have seen Alfa Spiders from much later than 1982 with VINs starting with 115.38.00.

Here's a link to an '85 with VIN: ZAR1153800248****
Alfa Romeo Spider 2000 1985, 84000 km., kr. 76.585, - -

It it highly likely that this is a 83-90 series 3 car and there is nothing in the info we have so far that suggest that the car is not from 86.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
There were two 'versions' of the 11538 Spider; the 2000 Spider Veloce produced from 1975-1985 followed by the Spider 2.0 Quadrifoglio Verde from 1986-1989. The starting chassis number for the Spider 2.0 is ZAR115380*02484011.
The learn the build date of your Spider, which may not necessarily be the same as the model year, you can send an email with the chassis number to Marco Fazio at the Alfa Archives in Italy. Mr. Fazio's email address is [email protected] .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mystery seems to be solved

Perpettersen seems to be correct here. Sent a mail to Marco Fazio with the VIN number, and got his replay 10 minutes later (unbeliveable).
The car was manufactured on June 16. 1986, and sold July 5. in Goldach, CH.
Original color was white.
So somewhere along the line, the car must have had a serious rub down. There is not a sign of any white paint to be seen anywhere in the car. So it is a job well done. No rust has been found either and th car is running fine.
I also thought that in 1986 they did not use double Solex carburettors, but I must have been mistaking.
Thanks for Your help and suggestions.

·
Push hard and live
10,463 Posts
I have growing doubts about Storico/Marco's unimpeachable authority. I keep hearing and reading about cars that aren't the color that he claims they should be, and in many cases there is just zero evidence of them being re-colored.

This car is an example. Why would someone spend the substantial money to do a perfect re-color on this model? It simply is not worth the substantial cost to do the total dis-assembly necessary to hide all evidence of its original color. Of course, I'm taking the owner's comments literally that "no evidence" can be found.

Meanwhile, there is no visual evidence that it is a Quadrifoglio model, which would be what was built in 86. does it have the monopod gauges or the two individual speedo/tach pods? The former was introduced in 86.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
... Why would someone spend the substantial money to do a perfect re-color on this model? ...
I have done it for personal satisfaction, using professional shops (I have used two) so that the outcome is as good as factory or better. As far as cost, in my experience, if one starts out with an unmolested example with zero rust, the cost of changing the color is cheaper than re-painting a Spider that has rust areas to repair.

Best regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts