Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Looking to possibly buy this car.
I have searched through the posts here and the Fusi numbers. Can't seem to ID this car. I did send an email to the Alfa doc center. Just wondering if any of you can help it is 1820483.

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Welcome, Kyle.

The records I have show that 1820483 is a model 10557 1750 Kammtail Spider. Can't tell you the build date or model year but this model was produced for only two years; 1970 & 1971.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, Kyle.

The records I have show that 1820483 is a model 10557 1750 Kammtail Spider. Can't tell you the build date or model year but this model was produced for only two years; 1970 & 1971.
Thank you for the quick reply.
Should this car have had Webers on it originally?

Here is the ad. Antiques/collection Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce 1971 Usagé à vendre ou à louer à Montréal/Notre-Dame-de-Grâce. LesPAC.com - annonces classées

I went to see it yesterday. It looks pretty solid. The interior is in great shape. The body is ok except for a square pattern with some small bubbling beneath the surface of paint on the passenger fender. looks like a square patch was welded there. And there is a slight dent just above the passenger side front bumper. Evrything looks to be original. The car is still parked for the winter so I haven't done the test drive yet. The trans or engine at rear and diff seem to be leaking.

7500 negotiable, what do you think?

Thank you again,
Kyle

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Well, I'm more of a GTV guy than a Spiderman but I can say that the steering wheel and the air cleaners are not original. It looks to be pretty decent from the pics though. Be wary of rust on the underside; it could make or break the deal. Mechanical issues, such as oil leaks, are subjects to be discussed in the price negotiation process.

Speaking of oil leaks, any mechanism that has a lubricant on the inside will eventually have said lubricant on the outside. Some faster than others.

Oh, if the gauges are in English and in Imperial units of measure, the vehicle is a Canadian market European version Spider. As such, it would have been fitted with carbs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jim, so the Canadian spiders had carbs. This makes sense because my friend noted that they did not look to be a converted set-up. He also pulled up the carpets and found everything to be solid.

Here are the photos the owner sent me. He had it undercoated.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does this look ok?

The floor going towards the front seems to be loosing it's shape.
Is this normal?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
I'm always a bit suspicious when the seller undercoats the car right before he puts it up for sale. It's an easy way to hide problems.

The floorboards look like they were worked on. If the job was done right I don't think it's important that this area is perfect - unless you are going for concours. But it is particularly important in a Spider that the floorboards and rockers are solid since there is no roof to take the loads.

What I don't like is where the lifting arms are picking up the car - need to be on the front jack points not on the frame rails...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the input Rich. I thought that lifting it on the frame rails was strange.

I guess I should not be expecting a perfect body at that price.
I will have to get it inpsected if I decide to go further with this.

·
Premium Member
22,422 Posts
That is a lot of nasty stuff layered on there. In a climate like Montreal's, I wouldn't call it inherently suspicious, since the goal is to stave off rust. But I'd look mightly closely at what's under it. Pull up the mats/carpets if you can to look at the floors from the top too. The area under the seat, where water can puddle toward the rear, rusts through readily, as does the right rocker panel, from crowned roads.
It sits very high, which might be tall tires, but looks like long springs, or perhaps spacers. Did the car live down a dirt road?
Andrew

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We looked under the floor mats everything was solid. Rockers as well, we went around with a magnet. It passed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the response from the documentation center.

Dear Mister Walker,

with reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1820483 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce (105.57), manufactured on the 7th October 1970 and sold on the 30th October 1970 to Alfa Romeo Canada.

The body colour is metallic light grey, with black skai interiors.

Yours, Sincerely,

Marco Fazio

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,051 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Looking to possibly buy this car.
I have searched through the posts here and the Fusi numbers. Can't seem to ID this car. I did send an email to the Alfa doc center. Just wondering if any of you can help it is 1820483.

Thanks,
Kyle
The numbers indicate a 1970 kamm tail that was probably european,according to Chris Rees' book.BTW,I believe Canadian cars had spica injection systems as well not carbs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I decided not to go with this car when i found out the front clip had been replaced. I went with an excellent condition 78.

Kyle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts