1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
This probably belongs under engine management. That's where all the aftermarket fuel injection stuff usually goes.

I have never heard of this system and a quick search on this BB doesn't reveal that anyone has discussed it. If someone has a link, I'd read about it too.

I think it would depend or what cams you got and what you mean by upgraded injectors. Also, does the fuel injection system have a map for the cams and the injectors that you purchased. Did you get them all at Vicks? Maybe Vick can help you understand what you purchased and if they all go together without remapping.

From a programmable fuel injection stand point, that system looks quite pricey. I can think of three other systems that are in the $1000 - $1200 range and the DIY one is half of that. I can't see that the other stuff they give you in the kit is worth another $1300 - $1500.

Again, I'd love to read experiences with the kit and if it offers more than the three I am thinking of (Emerald, DTA Fast, Gotech).

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
A quick search on a Fiat forum reveals that this is essentially a Megasquirt II built and prepped for Alfas and Fiats. Hmm, a $500 item with some prep for $2500? I'm pretty skeptical. Unless someone can point out the real value in this.

As for the original question of installation tips, anything you can glean from Megasquirt websites or discussions here on Megasquirt could help.

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
A quick search on a Fiat forum reveals that this is essentially a Megasquirt II built and prepped for Alfas and Fiats. Hmm, a $500 item with some prep for $2500? I'm pretty skeptical. Unless someone can point out the real value in this.
There could be another three or four hundred bucks for a TPS, baro sensor, pigtails, maybe a bracket for the TPS, plus new injectors

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Initially I thought the price was a bit steep, but I then went over some dollar figures I had posted on another forum.
Keep in mind that major components (ECU and ignition coils) are second hand. Having said that, my chosen computer is also more capable than a Megasquirt II.
Also, I've got coil on plug ignition and wide band sensor input, so my set up is more involved.
And the time, the US/Aus dollar was very close to parity and the cost of the crimping tool I used is in there, too.
The complete wiring loom is in 4 pieces and each piece is made from scratch. No wires are joined anywhere unless they are at plugs (crimped pins). There should never be any solder in an automotive wiring loom.

What isn't included is the price lists:
Heat shrink (you should be using plenty of this if you want a good, neat and reliable installation), split loom tube, electrical tape, relays and their mounting plugs, fuse block, P clamps, ECU mounting plate and about 3 days work for a guy who isn't an electrician............

Second hand Adaptronic E420c: $600
2 metre wiring loom: $111
2 Bar MAP sensor: $74

*Coolant temp sensor: $16.25US
*Inlet air temp sensor: $20US
*Ignition module: $89US
*Plug and pin pack: $87.95US
*Pin crimping tool for above: $108US
*Wide band AFR sensor/controller (no gauge): $199US
*6 Bosch injector plugs: $34.50US
*Freight for above from DIYAutotune: $75.25

2 x pack of 4 Denso ignition coil plug kits: $65.48
8 x second hand 2008 Yamaha R6 ignition coils: $120.

The costs always add up to more than you first think............... :eek:

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
I am about to install Megasquirt on my GTV6 and without the AFR it will cost about $800 total.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I am about to install Megasquirt on my GTV6 and without the AFR it will cost about $800 total.
Spend the extra $200, it's well worth it. Data logging with wide band AFRs is a god send.
As is a decent auto-tune. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
Spend the extra $200, it's well worth it. Data logging with wide band AFRs is a god send.
I have a Zeitronix ZT-2 on my Spider and a ZT-3 on the GTV-6. The ZT-3 is a bare bones system. It only inputs AFR but it has simulated narrow band and wide band outputs and it should be fine with the Megasquirt.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have a Zeitronix ZT-2 on my Spider and a ZT-3 on the GTV-6. The ZT-3 is a bare bones system. It only inputs AFR but it has simulated narrow band and wide band outputs and it should be fine with the Megasquirt.
Well you've got what you need.
Surely the Megaquirt can accept the 0-5 volt wide band signal and do data logging?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
See that Zeitronix also do a nifty little data logger so that you don't have to data log to a laptop. Handy if your ECU doesn't have any data logging storage capacity.

Personally I'm hanging out for Adaptronic to implement their firmware upgrade so that I can use an Innovate OT2 data logger. I really like the Innovate software, but they use their own propriety communications protocol, so I can't just plug the Adaptronic's serial output into my LM1 data logger................. :sad:

Anyways, data feedback is KING(!!!) for tuning. And being able to log and view it is essential for accurate tuning.

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
Anyways, data feedback is KING(!!!) for tuning. And being able to log and view it is essential for accurate tuning.
I agree. I set up my 2L motor on a dyno and the sheet included the AFR. Before I did any more tuning I bought the ZT-2 and recorded a baseline to compare with the dyno curve. I was then able to tune the Webers to get a similar curve to the baseline when I modified the exhaust and then the Weber venturis. I am confident that I have it close to optimum and I will confirm it with some dyno pulls when the time is right. I have a stretch of road out in the country that is my "Red Neck Dyno".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts