Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this gear reduction starter from Vick Autosports?

Starter Gear Reduction - (SKU 24-2891) [24-2891] - $269.00 : Vick Autosports, Inc., The Complete Fiat Parts and Alfa Romeo Parts Source

It sounds like a good unit but they list the same model for 1972-1985 which would cover both the 130 and 131 tooth ring gears. Performatek also has a Nippondenso starter, but I think they supply different brackets for 130 vs 131 tooth gears. Alfaholics also lists the same starter for both ring gears.

I haven't heard of Vick Autosports until just now. Their starter has a better price, but I wonder if they know what they are doing.

I have a 130 tooth ring gear. I've been running a 1.1 hp Bosch starter, which is supposed to work, but it doesn't work great - the pinion keeps disengaging. I put the .7 hp back in and it's much smoother, but it just doesn't have enough grunt.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
Has anyone tried this gear reduction starter from Vick Autosports?...but they list the same model for 1972-1985 which would cover both the 130 and 131 tooth ring gears. Performatek also has a Nippondenso starter, but I think they supply different brackets for 130 vs 131 tooth gears. Alfaholics also lists the same starter for both ring gears.
Yea, I've wondered about that too: how one model of gear reduction starter could be applied to both 130 and 131 tooth ring gears. Everything I have read here on the BB suggests that using a starter intended for a 13X tooth gear on a 13Y tooth gear will result in problems.

I have a 130 tooth ring gear. I've been running a 1.1 hp Bosch starter, which is supposed to work, but it doesn't work great - the pinion keeps disengaging. I put the .7 hp back in and it's much smoother, but it just doesn't have enough grunt.
Your .7 hp starter corresponds to the 130 tooth ring gear, while the 1.1 hp corresponds to a 131 tooth ring gear. So you have been intermixing starter types; can you see any damage to the ring gear as a result?

I have always just used the type of starter that came with my engines and have always found them to have enough "grunt". That includes the .7 hp models used on the early 2 liters. Perhaps your engine has too much static advance, and that is slowing the .7 hp starter. Or maybe the starter just needs rebuilding.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There is an Alfa service bulletin detailing how to install the 1.1 starter in place of the .7. (I think it is mentioned in the bulletin that it is done to improve starting in cold weather.) The pinion gear on the starter is a little further away from the ring gear, so the teeth wouldn't engage quite as well, but I assumed that Alfa thought this was not a problem - there was no mention in the bulletin about changing the ring gear.

When I ran the 1.1 starter, it kept disengaging, as though the pinion wasn't going back fully into the ring gear. When it did engage, it cranked the motor pretty well, but it typically took 3 or 4 trys to get it to engage. There could be something bad with the starter, but it does work on the bench with no load.

The .7 starter has always cranked a bit too slowly for comfort, especially on cold days. I did have the timing too far advanced at first, but got it set right resulting in a big improvement. However, when the timing was off, the engine bucked hard during a start and broke the nose of the starter casting off. Fortunatly, this starter has a bearing between the armature and the pinion gear so it still works even with the nose bushing gone! I don't know how long it will last like that though.

The front of the ring gear is a little tattered after running the 1.1 starter. The .7 starter still engages smoothly, so I'm hoping the ring gear is still good enough to use.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Yea, I've wondered about that too: how one model of gear reduction starter could be applied to both 130 and 131 tooth ring gears. Everything I have read here on the BB suggests that using a starter intended for a 13X tooth gear on a 13Y tooth gear will result in problems.

After running all the way down, I've just climbed out of that rabbit hole. A couple of years ago, I bought a Bosch lightweight reduction gear starter for a late Spider believing it would fit both a 130 and 131 tooth ring gear. After having purchased the starter, I then discovered that some late Spiders reverted to 130 tooth ring gears.

Long story short: it didn't work with my 131 tooth ring gear on the new aluminum flywheel on the 2 liter we've just installed in my Super. I put the new solinoid on my old, heavy 1.1 Alfetta starter, bolted every up, and now all is well.

My advice: If you're purchasing a Bosch lightweight gear reduction starter make sure you know what year Spider you're purchasing it for. Alfa used lightweight starters for for both late Spiders with 130 and 131 tooth ring gears. They don't interchange.

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
My advice: If you're purchasing a Bosch lightweight gear reduction starter make sure you know what year Spider you're purchasing it for. Alfa used lightweight starters for for both late Spiders with 130 and 131 tooth ring gears. They don't interchange.
I have gear reduction starter from an '86 or '87 on my '79 Spider. It has been performing perfectly for many years and thousands of miles. I THINK that the late S3 starters fit early S3's and most S2's and S4 starters fit early S2's.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My understanding is that a starter meant for a 131 tooth ring gear will work on both a 130 or 131 tooth gear, but a starter for 130 gear will not work on a 131 gear. This is because the pinion gear on the 131 starter is about 1mm further out from the centerline of the flywheel to match the larger diameter of the 131 ring gear. If you put a 131 starter on a 130 ring gear, you would loose about 1mm of tooth mesh. It should still work, but in my case it doesn't. It could be a problem with the starter that not related to the center distance of the gears. I don't know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts