Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a Vick Auto gas tank. Not easy finding a shop to do a clean and coat. The Vick tank does not have baffles, and fit possibly may not be perfect. Wondering what's the best route to take.

Registered
Just got a Vick Auto gas tank. Not easy finding a shop to do a clean and coat. The Vick tank does not have baffles, and fit possibly may not be perfect. Wondering what's the best route to take.
Their tank, at least the one sent to me a few weeks ago was plated inside. I just installed with new pumps and filters. This new tank as shipped will easily outlast me 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Their tank, at least the one sent to me a few weeks ago was plated inside. I just installed with new pumps and filters. This new tank as shipped will easily outlast me 馃槈
Good to hear. Thanks!

Registered
1978 Spider 1984 Spider
only reason to do a clean and coat is if you are restoring an old tank...a new tank should never need that.

Super Moderator
There have been a few threads recently about the fit of Vick-supplied fuel tanks. I wonder what model Alfas their tanks do fit.

It's kind of important to have your fuel filler and other fittings in the right locations; you don't want potential fuel leaks, difficulty adding fuel, restricted outlets, etc.

You didn't describe how the Vick tank didn't fit. And I didn't understand whether your comment about tank cleaning & coating applied to the new tank, or whether you are considering rehabilitating your old tank. Clarify these two points and perhaps we can offer better advice.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
There have been a few threads recently about the fit of Vick-supplied fuel tanks. I wonder what model Alfas their tanks do fit.

It's kind of important to have your fuel filler and other fittings in the right locations; you don't want potential fuel leaks, difficulty adding fuel, restricted outlets, etc.

You didn't describe how the Vick tank didn't fit. And I didn't understand whether your comment about tank cleaning & coating applied to the new tank, or whether you are considering rehabilitating your old tank. Clarify these two points and perhaps we can offer better advice.
I was on the fence about a refurb on the old tank and purchase of the new Vick tank. I took the original tank out today and I don't think a clean and coat would do it. There is substantial rust on the outside of the tank. In tank rust is rather intense. When I pumped out the gas there was a lot of rust in the containers. As for Vick, From the photo, for what it's worth, looks like a match. If not I got a quote for $180 to clean and coat. I would think the outside needs sand blasting. Than painting. Drive down a good bit, drop off. Wait a couple of weeks, drive down and pick up. Hoping the Vick fits and functions. The refurb sounds expensive and involved.

Super Moderator
Just got a Vick Auto gas tank. The Vick tank .... fit may not be perfect.
WOLFFIE said:
As for Vick, From the photo, for what it's worth, looks like a match.
Wow, now I'm thoroughly confused:

Your first post said you had the new Vick tank, but your latest one suggests you are just looking at pictures of it.

Your first post said that it might not fit, but your latest one suggests it "looks like a match".

If you already have the tank, then A) you are somewhat committed to using it and B) you should know whether it fits or not. If you are still deciding whether or not to order it, then I guess you should compare the year of your spider to those owned by the previous posters who reported problems fitting the Vick tanks. I know re-furbing your old tank will be a hassle, but you KNOW that one fits.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9

I haven't gotten the tank yet. Just throwing out some random things I've read about them. Went to my local shop. Difatta Bros. in Baltimore. He showed me a tank that looks identical to the Vick tank. Trouble with Difatta is Giovanni seems to winding down the shop. His pricing for labor and parts is off the scale. I asked about a tank. He said he doesn't want to do dirty work like a tank replace and I should do it. Quoted tank for $360, Two days later and it was $385. I got crushed on some routine repairs. It's unfortunate as I am a big proponent of shopping local and community commitment. Kinda sad.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, now I'm thoroughly confused:

Your first post said you had the new Vick tank, but your latest one suggests you are just looking at pictures of it.

Your first post said that it might not fit, but your latest one suggests it "looks like a match".

If you already have the tank, then A) you are somewhat committed to using it and B) you should know whether it fits or not. If you are still deciding whether or not to order it, then I guess you should compare the year of your spider to those owned by the previous posters who reported problems fitting the Vick tanks. I know re-furbing your old tank will be a hassle, but you KNOW that one fits.
Should have said I ordered it. sorry. Can always return it I suppose.

Premium Member
86 Veloce
Cleaning a tank isn't that tough, really. Throw a couple handfuls of drywall screws in it, shake it around until you are tired. Dump the screws and debris out, put the screws back in, repeat until the tank is clean. I wouldn't worry about coating it although there a a few good manufacturers that I can think of. If the tank is compromised due to corrosion forget e everything I said and buy another tank, just not from Vicks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Cleaning a tank isn't that tough, really. Throw a couple handfuls of drywall screws in it, shake it around until you are tired. Dump the screws and debris out, put the screws back in, repeat until the tank is clean. I wouldn't worry about coating it although there a a few good manufacturers that I can think of. If the tank is compromised due to corrosion forget e everything I said and buy another tank, just not from Vicks!
I don't see drywall screws doing the job. Someone responded to my post with a positive experience with a Vick tank. What exactly is so bad about their product? Only have had the Alfa for a year. In that time a lot of disappointment with a couple of highly thought of shops.

Premium Member
86 Veloce
I don't see drywall screws doing the job. Someone responded to my post with a positive experience with a Vick tank. What exactly is so bad about their product? Only have had the Alfa for a year. In that time a lot of disappointment with a couple of highly thought of shops.
Well, I am only speaking from experience. You can get a tank shiny clean with a little, well more than a little, effort. I think you would be much better off using your original tank. Mine had sat for 20 years before I bought it and tank now is clean and working perfectly. Why not Vicks? I wouldn't buy a thimble from those guys....

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I am only speaking from experience. You can get a tank shiny clean with a little, well more than a little, effort. I think you would be much better off using your original tank. Mine had sat for 20 years before I bought it and tank now is clean and working perfectly. Why not Vicks? I wouldn't buy a thimble from those guys....
Disappointing to hear... Guess I'll see...

Maybe there should be a "don't buy from list" on the BB...

Premium Member
86 Veloce
Disappointing to hear... Guess I'll see...

Maybe there should be a "don't buy from list" on the BB...
It is only my opinion but is shared by many.

Push hard and live
I recently installed a tank from CA in my 76/77 S2. Fit perfectly. Mounting holes lined up, etc. shipped to my house, 2-day shipping, Right at $300 including freight.

Premium Member
86 Veloce
Classic Alfa in the UK. Quality products, quick shipping and with the exchange rate good deals too. Centerline is out of Colorado specializing in Alfa. Good vendor.

Super Moderator
Here's one of those recent threads that I mentioned in post #6 about a spider owner struggling with a gas tank from Vicks: 73鈥 spider tank inspected and 鈥渨ow, it looks bad!鈥

But I can't predict whether you will have similar issues, since I don't know the year of your spider nor the model of tank you ordered from Vicks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts