Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Has anyone had any experience with the brake boosters sold by VIC Auto Sports?
I needed one badly and they were the only ones that had them in stock.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
347 Posts
I just picked up a spider that had a new Vicks booster put on right before I bought it. Maybe a month or two old. Seems to work just fine. It apparently fits.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I had one that fit fine but was overly sensitive.

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
There is a longer thread about this product. It should not be hard to find.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Mostly me whining about how sensitive the brakes were.............

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
Its interesting that many of the guys who race 105's get rid of the booster in order to get better feel of the brakes. Some of these guys are their 70's and they have no problem applying sufficient pedal force. I suspect that braking systems designed for teenage girls have turned us into wimps.

·
Push hard and live
9,604 Posts
With rare exception, the world's vendors of Alfa parts buy from the same manufacturers. On very rare occasions, the bigger guys might jump out there and develop a production of something, but apart from Alfaholics and their race-centric stuff, usually it's the same from Vendor A, O, V, C, etc. So, I buy on service, service, service figuring brilliant fixes to problems and non-argumentative warranty and over-stock returns more than make up for a few pennies in price.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With rare exception, the world's vendors of Alfa parts buy from the same manufacturers. On very rare occasions, the bigger guys might jump out there and develop a production of something, but apart from Alfaholics and their race-centric stuff, usually it's the same from Vendor A, O, V, C, etc. So, I buy on service, service, service figuring brilliant fixes to problems and non-argumentative warranty and over-stock returns more than make up for a few pennies in price.
I have never dealt with VIC A.S and was wondering if they are a sold vendor. Thank you all for the input.

·
Push hard and live
9,604 Posts
Nitro....

I mainly buy from European sources: Classic Alfa and OKP, in particular. The former gets most of it, but OKP has some things others don’t.

Sadly, the world is starting to get a fair amount of poor quality parts. While I don’t fault the distributors far causing this, I’m VERY disappointed when a respected vendor appears to have abandoned their QC acceptance controls.

As a general policy, any vendor that claims low price as the reason for doing business with them is off my list.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Ddi you set the booster pin length properly? If it's too short you get a long pedal, too long and you get super twitchy brakes.
Yes, I did. Overly boosted was the problem. Try to heel and toe without flying forward in your seat!!
Put a good used one on and it's great now.
I gave the Vicks unit to my buddy for his wife's auto trans Spider.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I bought one from Vick two years ago but only installed it recently. It works fine, no perceptible change in the boost level - compared to the original leaky booster. Fine for me.

Note that Vick delivered the booster with the pushrod properly adjusted and locked with thread compound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts